Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Synthetic
  • 3 Post By Stocky

Thread: small new build thoughts....

small new build thoughts....

Want to build somthing short and compact and light.

Most prop for red deer, fellow..... maybe sika.

Was looking for somthing along the lines of a mini howa excl chassis, him howa 6m5 grendel. Nice dot suppressor and my peice optics.

Whatdocyo uthink if the above ?

Any better for around the same price?

That's the new polymer chassis right? There isn't going to be much else at that sort of weight for that sort of money.

Some of the Ruger Americans are fairly light but id rather have the howa anyway.

Kimber hunter is going to be a bit lighter, but is a step up in price.

A G2 contender or just buy the kimber from rivers to ranges. 16 inch threaded 7mm08 with Talley sub 5 pounds.

The howa minis in even the lightest stocks weigh more than a kimber that's in a bigger calibre.

There is a bit more metal in a howa mini compared to a kimber but not enough to steer you away from the action
    The bolt throw, travel and length of the howa mini and kimber 84m are the same on these two even tho the 84m is 308 length and the mini is 223
    The standard howa mini standard stock and mag arnt great but the action is really nice, it is a shame there isn't a sako 75 shaped carbon stock with standard floor plate as it would be an ultimate little Low cost sako

Same here, been looking for a lightweight 6.5mm caliber rifle specifically for long range hunting out to 400-500m, that is easy to carry in the hills all day.
    Reloaders has the Howa Alpine in 6.5 Creedmoor for $1399, which seems cheaper than other places. Only issue is that the barrel is only 20 inches, I have no experience with the Creedmoor so not sure if it is too short?
    Stocky likes this.

Definitely not too short. Seriously any 6.5mm to 308 calibre cartridge based on the 308 win will kill anything in NZ to as far as you have business shooting. A 147 eld m only needs to be going 2500fps to have 1000ftlbs at 600 yards. A 162 eld m only needs to be going 2425fps to do the same. A 168 eld m needs 2575. All of those velocities are easily achieved in 20 inch barrels by the 6.5 Creed, 7mm08, or 308. Most of those speeds are doable in 16 inch barrelled versions. All of those distances are based on being at sea level add about 1000m of elevation and you can add about 100yards extra effective as wiggle room. Just need to know your reload. I'd say you should be able to push 700 plus with a 20 inch barrel in any of the above. My 7mm08 load in my 20 inch kimber has 1200ftlb and is going 1800fps at 700 yards at sea level and I can load it up with another powder for about another 150fps easily but chose accuracy and temp stability over speed. That's further than I will ever shoot.
    hotsoup, Synthetic and wire hunter like this.