Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Smidez Ruger American 17HMR

Hey Guys, i figure that there are some people out there wondering if these are any good so let me know what you think. I like it, well actually really love it.

Ruger American 17HMR.
    This is the standard size, there is also compact version available. It comes with a flat and raised interchangeable butt stock for open sight or scoped applications. It has a 70 deg bolt movement so gives a little more between the bolt handle and scope for those of us with fat thumbs. The magazine is the legendary ruger rotary magazine used for 10/22. This magazine is actually the same as the one used for the 10/22 magnum so if you already have a 22 magnum you can use the magazines for either. It has a tang safety behind the bolt in easy access for your thumb. The trigger is the ruger marksman trigger, adjustable from 3 to 6?? pounds i think. I have adjusted it down to 3lb and it is an awesome piece of gear. It comes with weaver mounts and i have used weaver quad lock rings.
    I fitted a BSA Sweet 17 scope that is 6-18x40

I am very happy with the way it shoots. Being realistic, it's not an expensive rifle nor is the scope but i don't see the point putting a big money scope on a cheap rifle. What i have found with the scope is that the zoom is possibly too much. I tend to use it around 14 times max as after that it does get a bit blurry. The scope has distance dialling turrets in yards and it works very well. I zeroed it in at 100 yards and you simply dial the distance you want to shoot and it adjusts the aim point to suit. I have shot plovers and hares out to around 250m with ease and recently i hung a small fry pan off a fence and used GPS to distance it at 270m. I easily hit it with a 15 knot wind left to right so i'm certainly impressed with how good this is for the cost.
    The bolt moves nicely , loads & ejects rounds well and it just simply works. The stock is tidy and functional and personally I cannot fault it. I have always been a fan of synthetic stocks as they take the knocks better, for me a rifle is a tool rather than a show piece if you get what i mean and i have no worries about dinging or scratching the polished finish. I don't mistreat them, just a tupperware fan haha.
    I have a gunworks suppressor for it but i need to get it threaded. I did try to have it done when the rifle was new but got messed around for a few weeks by the guy that was supposed to do it so i ended up taking the gun before being threaded.
    The marksman trigger is awesome, just like the savage accutrigger that i have used before. It makes it so easy to place your shot exactly where you want it.
    I have just bought the American All Weather in 223 so i'll have that and this threaded at the same time in the coming weeks.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Good to hear that you rate these wee rifles. I also have my eye on a .17 and these things seem to tick all the right boxes for me. Thanks for the positive review.

Buck_Shot

They allow you to shoot out to good ranges for pests so make sure you get enough zoom and a compensator system for bullet drop so you can use to it's potential

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.