Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: South Island gun

South Island gun

So looking at a 270wsm as my long range/ South Island gun
    What are you guys using or recommending

A 7mm Remington Magnum in stead for a start, and then it all depends on your budget.
    shooternz likes this.

Id also go 7mm-something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Looking at a browning white gold or another Sako a7
    7mmrem a? Ok and scope power ?
    This will be zeiss hd5

I am a 7mm fan, but a 270WSM will work. I am assuming from your question you don't have much experience shooting at long-ish range. What is your budget? You should spend at least as much on your scope as the rifle. To make the most of SI hunting you need to be able to take shots out to 500-600yds. Most of my shots are around 350yds, but the odd one stretchs out to 650yds.
    At the lower budget end a Tikka T3 will do it. I have been impressed by the accuracy of Sako A7's. My rifles are remingtons, but they are earlier ones, not the recent ones that have had a few quality control issues. At the top end a Sako 75 or 85 would be good. But really it is just personal choice, browning, kimber etc take your pick.
    You will also need a laser range finder and a ballistic program, preferably one that runs on you phone. I use Shooter, but there are a number out there now.
    After that pick out a good projectile and be prepared to spend some range time learning the load and how to dial.
    gadgetman and Krispy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I am a 7mm fan, but a 270WSM will work. I am assuming from your question you don't have much experience shooting at long-ish range. What is your budget? You should spend at least as much on your scope as the rifle. To make the most of SI hunting you need to be able to take shots out to 500-600yds. Most of my shots are around 350yds, but the odd one stretchs out to 650yds.
    At the lower budget end a Tikka T3 will do it. I have been impressed by the accuracy of Sako A7's. My rifles are remingtons, but they are earlier ones, not the recent ones that have had a few quality control issues. At the top end a Sako 75 or 85 would be good. But really it is just personal choice, browning, kimber etc take your pick.
    You will also need a laser range finder and a ballistic program, preferably one that runs on you phone. I use Shooter, but there are a number out there now.
    After that pick out a good projectile and be prepared to spend some range time learning the load and how to dial.
    I typed the stuff above just before you posted, 3-15 will work (all my shooting has been with a 4.5-14 or 2.5-16). 5-25 would be great but will be a bit limiting at close range.

My pick would be the Browning in 7mm RM, with a scope that's in the 3-14 range or the likes.
    Reasoning being, the 7mmRM is great round for hand loading and with the 7mm projectile choice out there you will find exactly what you're after. The rifle is just a matter of preference but for a long range rig you would want at east a 24".
    And the scope range i think you would want to be able to zoom out at least to 4.5 ish. I hunt Tahr with a 4.5-14 but I'd like to be able to zoom out further if I could.
    That's just my 2c cents and I am by no means an expert, I just keep changing gear as I find what work for me and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Full noise View Post
    Looking at a browning white gold or another Sako a7
    7mmrem a? Ok and scope power ?
    This will be zeiss hd5
    Hmmm those Browning white gold's are very nice rifles. I would buy one if I knew it would look that good forever. Unfortunately it wouldn't as I'm too rough
    ZG47 likes this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

What is your NI gun? Bet that would work. Add a range finder and drop chart. If they are still too far away, walk closer. A bit of old fashioned stalking used to work and still does. Honestly unless you have a 44mag or something you won't be disadvantaged. However if you need an excuse for a new rifle....

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  880.3 KB
    Sako a7 3006 zeiss conquest 3-9 is my ni gun
    And yeah it's a good reason to get her a friend

Quote Originally Posted by Full noise View Post
    Attachment 42257
    Sako a7 3006 zeiss conquest 3-9 is my ni gun
    And yeah it's a good reason to get her a friend
    A 300 win mag would be a nice companion sort of next size up though properly loaded a 30-06 will certainly do.

The 3006 loaded with some sleek wind cheating projectiles will reach out a long way! If long range shooting is the plan maybe a scope to take advantage of the distance that is available?

Fuck, we sound like yanks all of a sudden 30-06, 300Win mag. Jesus.
    Maybe there needs to be a few more dorklanders migrate south cause they all swear by the mighty 708.
    That 30-06 will do everything. Just load another round type if shooting 1000-1450yards.
    284 loaded with 140AB & 162. Definitely not a further rig than a 30-06 however shooting a higher bc projectile, but it will be a new rifle, so we will all be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Dan M

K95
    A 30-06 is more than enough. The whole NI vs SI thing is a load of shit anyway. 99% of my animals would be shot at under 100m.
    R93, Danny, ZG47 and 1 others like this.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

I would have to agree, I didn't realise your "Northern" gun was a 30-06. If you want another gun and call it a long ranger my suggestion still stands but the 30 will work well anyhow.