Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: spare firearms, any value in any of this stuff?

spare firearms, any value in any of this stuff?

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I'm a farmer in Hawkes Bay with enough of a pest goat problem to make E endorsement worth while. I admit I am not a firearms enthusiast as such but see them as necessary tools in my profession. Looking at the amount of stuff in the old A cat lockup most of it is either never used or just taking up space. I'd appreciate it if you all could take a look at this stuff and tell me if it has any value.

First up is the 2 .303s I have been using for goats until now. Both work great, but I'm not quick enough with these to knock down more than one goat at a time in dense plantation/bush. Once I get an E-cat I will never use these again. Both no. 4 mk 1, one stamped "US Property", the other " Long Branch 1943".

Name:  P1070419.JPGs.JPG
Views: 800
Size:  307.9 KB

Name:  P1070423.JPGs.JPG
Views: 877
Size:  241.0 KB

This old timer is I believe a Martini-Henry, it is stamped Enfield 1886 on the stock. When I was a kid in the 70's my grandmother used this to prop open the door of the chook house. I gave it some CRC and freed it up a bit to the point it could be cocked and go 'click' when the trigger is pulled. The barrel has been sawn through to prevent firing, collectors only!

Name:  P1070424.JPGs.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  446.8 KB

Name:  P1070425.JPGs.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  350.0 KB

Name:  P1070426.JPGs.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  380.1 KB

These .22s are unlikely to be of much interest, one is a stirling .22 that a mate left with me to look after when he moved to Germany 25 years ago, he's not coming back so time to get rid of it. I've never fired it and think something is wrong with it, maybe someone might want some parts? The second is a lakeland Arms .22LR bolt action missing it's magazine.

Name:  P1070417.JPGs.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  311.1 KB

Another possible collectors item, an old Belmont Interchangeable Gun, engraved 1884. My great grandfather (died 1946) broke the stock hitting some animal with it, and as far as I know that was the last time it was fired. Which means my family have been stashing this thing for 70 years for no obvious purpose whatsoever.

Name:  P1070427.JPGs.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  297.1 KB

Name:  P1070428.JPGs.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  363.5 KB

Sorry about the black spots on the camera, you get the idea.

Hi Ben, welcome. someone will no doubt be along soon to give an opinion on your firearms.

There may also be a forum member in your area who would like a chance to help you with an animal cleanout .

Let us know what kind of cannon you're going to use to keep the goats in check.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Coiuld I please buy the stirling .22 for parts. I live in Napier so could pick up. Cheers, Gary.

shame about the martini maybe it had other issues. They are a cool old thing.
    One of these days I'll get an old enfield 303. Already have another project happening so better not.
    You'd be surprised what you'll get for the 303's. Cant get one under 200 especially if the barrel is ok.

If you don't get a reply on the other stuff, PM Gundoc.

He'll likely be able to give you some idea of what it might fetch.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

mini 14 in .223 or 7.62x39mm will take care of your goats without issue. agreed both 303s will be worth $250 plus the .22s maybe a hundy each???? the martini???? what someone willing to pay same for shotty...trademe $1 reserve could be best option.

The martini would make a neat wall hanger. Do you have a figure in mind? PM me if you like.
    A330driver likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Probably would not hurt to pop over to the introductions and tell us about yourself. It can come across as a little suspect when the first posts are sales of firearms from someone who has not been here before. In saying that, welcome and one of the fastest ways to see what an item is worth approx would be to search expired listings on trade me. Bear in mind, some 303s go for very little as they are very common but others can go for high prices if the condition is right and they are a sought after model.

Some of the stories and history of these can be very interesting. I do like the image of a 303 being used to hold a chook house door open......Just think what the AO would say to that now a days...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    The second is a lakeland Arms .22LR bolt action missing it's magazine.

Attachment 92179
    The Lakefield will probably fit a Savage Mk2 magazine if that helps anyone, Savage bought Lakefield arms and that design ended up becoming the Savage Mk2 (and then enlarged for the Model 93 22 magnum/17hmr). Savage still make their rimfire rifles at the Lakefield factory as far as I know.

Are you waiting to sell or just get our opinions on values Id buy the martini as im after an action
    It’s only the barrel that’s been stuffed eh?

Values in my opinion
    303’s between 100-200 eachdepending on barrels
    22’s no real value ether 200-250 each maybe less maybe more depending on the market
    Shotgun in less its in super good condition or something or something rare $50-100
    Martini maybe 150-200 if it was functioning could be upto a grand possibly more
    Depends if its 577-450 or 303

Thanks everyone, yeah I must seem a bit dodgy, never considered I might come across like that! And thanks to all the offers of goat culling, I should have given more details. I plant a lot of trees and every now and then a bunch of renegade goats that roam the district turn up. I don't usually notice them until several thousand dollars worth of damage is done, then it's one shot with the old .303 and they're gone for months, until the pattern repeats. So if anyone came here specially, chances are they would find nothing (except hares). Next time I intend to have an E-cat-something ready for them. Knock them all down if possible.

I'm not really sure if I am selling stuff or asking for value indication. Some of it has some sentimental value, but if there was a good market then selling would make more sense. Storing stuff that hasn't been fired for a century is not all that sensible, I'm not a collector. OTOH my boys are old enough to get firearms licences so now maybe I should give the .303s to them. I'll have another think about it.

The M-H carbine is defintely much bigger than .303, must be 577-450.

Cheers,

Ben

.303s to the boys is a plurry great idea....... if you feel like jazzing them up there are some rather good options out there now eg synthetic stocks and there is tutorials and help on how to bed them to get the best out of them on terminal balistics research site. leave them with the aperture sights as they have a niche even when more modern flasherer rifle has been bought...you can chuck them on back of ute/tractor/bike/boat and not have to worry about knocking scope...also great when its persisting down ....