Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By NZShoota
  • 1 Post By res
  • 1 Post By grunzter
  • 1 Post By grunzter

Thread: Spotting Scope Stand - Any Recommendations?

Spotting Scope Stand - Any Recommendations?

Hi all,
    After spotting scope stand mainly for target shooting.
    I have tried some good 'Camera' type tripods, but they always have some issues when you fix a decent sized spotting scope on them.
    Issues being crappy friction locks, no locks on ball heads etc, so they come loose way to easily.

I see NZ has the Collings offering, anyone used this?
    https://www.collingsguns.co.nz/products.html

Dont mind importing something from USA, UK or Aus... just seems hard to find anything.
    Cheers.

Picture below is what the Dutch Marines used at a comp i went to last year, but that tripod is $2k.
    Name:  20190810_083109 small.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  758.1 KB

This was my old tripod:
    Name:  20190727_135345.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  8.21 MB
    Last edited by grunzter; 15-02-2020 at 07:06 PM.

I have used the Collings one for over 30 years and they were around well before before that even. The mainstay of full bore shooting in NZ.
    When shooting with apertures (and scope for that matter) because of the leg design you can set them right up close by and with an offset lens scope you only have to turn your head slightly to look thru it. I also have a long eye relief lens in my Kowa which makes it even better. No moving/losing shooting position to view.

The only downside (I find minor) is they have a friction setup/join for adjusting elevation which is not a problem once you align with the target. Mine tends to be a bit notchy now when I adjust but again once on target all OK. Years ago I did see a Collings type with a screw setup for fine elevation adjustment but none since. Possibly the owner had modified it.

The legs fold around on themselves for reasonable compact storage. Their design makes them very stable as well. I have also seen them with a weight attached to the bottom of the vertical rod to make them even more stable. They also come with extra vertical rods so you can use them sitting in a chair or standing. Probably would need the bottom weight in this mode.
    Last edited by zimmer; 15-02-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    grunzter likes this.

I second the Collins one, good value for money as well.
    grunzter likes this.

Also have a Collings and agree with everything the other guys have said. I used it with a 82mm Nikon ED (big and weighty) which was fine when prone on the mound but got a bit wobbly when used from the seated position. Found my larger Slik tripod better for that.

Your welcome to borrow my Collings if you want to try before you buy.
    grunzter likes this.

Buy an old car jack, weld it to a heavy bit of steel for the base and fit the spotting scope quick release base to it. Providing you dont want something ultra portable it provides a nice steady mounting platform

res
    i use either a RRS tripod with its built in shooting style head, or a gitzo mountaineer with there two way fluid head-never had it move even with 95mm spotter on it
    grunzter likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Huk
    And that must be your old AR in the pic as well

Still got it, and a few others. That one was exported to SA last July where i go each year to use it for the Combat Rifle champs.
    Others on P/C collectors license.
    Name:  20190805_143450.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  9.48 MB
    Huk likes this.

Ok, thanks for all the advice.
    I had a tripod that i had just got that was not up to the task, so i ended up taking that back which was going to happen regardless, and then the salesman pulled a different tripod out that seemed to tick all the boxes at a reasonable price.
    So went from a 8kg capacity one to a 14kg capacity one, and so far it looks like it will work well.
    Not something i would like to lug around if hunting, but i think it will be great for the range and ringing gongs.
    The locks are much better, and it can easily be change to sitting or standing...
    Name:  20200219_185815.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  2.44 MB
    res likes this.