Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By rogers.270
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By K95
  • 1 Post By ChrisF

Thread: Spotting scope - straight bs angled

Spotting scope - straight bs angled

i imagine straight is easier to point at animals and angled eyepiece is easier on the neck.

What are some other pros and cons and also what magnification range are people using?

Cheers

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    angled only way - spend 4 hours on a straight one and tell me your still a happy camper - glassing should not be a chore its an investment IMO
    7mmsaum and Blaser like this.
    Addicted to gun powder

Angled eyepiece scopes were developed for prone rifle shooters. The military only use straight eyepiece scopes. The monster scopes used by shooting coaches for Palma, etc. and by biathlon coaches are all straight eyepiece scopes. I used to shoot smallbore and ran an outdoor range for 14 years. I have lost count of the number of times that other shooters borrowed my basic straight eyepiece scope in order to adequately supervise an indoor shoot with up to 16 shooters OR to coach some one else because ... their more expensive angled eyepiece scopes were essentially useless for the purpose.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

R93
    Angled also allows you to observe at height without straining. Assessing a trophy is easier to do while comfortable.😆
    I would never use a straight spotter for hunting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    rogers.270 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

got a 20-50 power, straight model. it does the job!
    #BallisticFists

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZG47 View Post
    Angled eyepiece scopes were developed for prone rifle shooters. The military only use straight eyepiece scopes. The monster scopes used by shooting coaches for Palma, etc. and by biathlon coaches are all straight eyepiece scopes. I used to shoot smallbore and ran an outdoor range for 14 years. I have lost count of the number of times that other shooters borrowed my basic straight eyepiece scope in order to adequately supervise an indoor shoot with up to 16 shooters OR to coach some one else because ... their more expensive angled eyepiece scopes were essentially useless for the purpose.
    you need to expand as to why you think its rubbish to supervise with - cant see any justification behind that............. happy to better understand though......... military certainly doesnt always mean its the best either
    Addicted to gun powder

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    military certainly doesnt always mean its the best either
    Nor were we limited to straight spotting scopes.
    Had all sorts of optical aids and gear is even better now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

K95
    Big difference between target shooters and hunters though, almost not even the same topic.
    Angled is the most suitable for hunting, even better if your sporter has the ability to tilt the eyepiece horizontally. Makes it a bastard to find the target but easier to get comfortable if looking level or downhill and tripod height isn't going to work with the angled eyepiece.

I use a 25-60x65mm and find it good. 90% of the time it stays on 25x.
    R93 likes this.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

I can see the angled being better for a shooter that stays on his rifle and turns his head to the side for the spotting scope veiw etc , Its generally accepted that the civie tgt shooters prefer the angled spotters , and its generally accepted that the military prefer the straight spotters .

I have a Zeiss Spotter60 , 20-60x72mm straight waterproof spotter , it has a reticle in the FFP posn , so its constant thru out the mag range , to start with I was using it with master eye only , and had trouble getting quickly onto tgt , and had thought about mounting a red dot sight as a quick sighting system like a finder scope on a astro telescope , but never got around to it .

It has taken sometime , BUT now I use it both eyes OPEN , and by doing this both images overlay them selves , and I can use the reticle center marker overlay on my non-master eye , and use that image to move the spotter on to any point I wish to look at , and I am finding its very quick and instinctive , and accuracy is very good , and the more I use it , the better I am getting .

This is with the spotter on its lowest setting , ie 20x .

Like all things , if you can try before buying .
    R93 likes this.

Ejected
    Is that not a practice you use with your rifle scopes all so? Both eyes open to find and shoot spot spash.