Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimjon

Thread: "Stainless" Ruger Americans

"Stainless" Ruger Americans

Hey - if you have a Ruger American "All Weather" stainless model - how is it's metal finish holding up to rough weather/less than optimum care and attention??

Or if you like, do they get rusty at the drop of a hat like several other "stainless" rifles??

Thanks (PM me if you don't want to confess here)

Fantastic. Had mine a M77 MK11 for about 20 years now, used it full time goat hunting for over 10 years, didn't exactly look after it and it still looks new. Only thing you have to really take care of is the pins in the trigger group, magazine box and mag follower spring, as these parts are blued steel and will rust. However, by take care of I mean if using it every day in rain, hail, snow or sun...maybe strip it down once a month and spray some inox on it at best.
    baronPolarbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Fantastic. Had mine a M77 MK11 for about 20 years now, used it full time goat hunting for over 10 years, didn't exactly look after it and it still looks new. Only thing you have to really take care of is the pins in the trigger group, magazine box and mag follower spring, as these parts are blued steel and will rust. However, by take care of I mean if using it every day in rain, hail, snow or sun...maybe strip it down once a month and spray some inox on it at best.
    Different rifle the M77s are legendary in regards to corrosion resistance. The boat paddle 223 I grew up shooting used to get put away covered in blood (nasty on stainless) and would be just as mint when it got pulled out months later. The new Ruger Americans however are similar to most modern stainless rifles. I think the fact the old rifles are polished helps as it's less surface area to rust. I've heard of a few people polishing their rifle barrel before bead blasting with great results for a matt finish but the factory finishes do seem to corrode easier.

I have a American in 30 06 , nice accurate rifle. Mine hasn't rusted but I do wipe it down with oil after use. I think they would rust easier than the M 77 model. For the price though they are a good entry type rifle.