Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 2 Post By andyanimal31
  • 1 Post By Xpat

Thread: Steyr Prohunter

Steyr Prohunter

Hi does anyone e have experience with steyr prohunter rifles? Looking at one in 308, blued action, stainless barrel, synthetic stock, 1 in 12 twist. Talk me out of it?

Depends on what you want to do with it. For a carry rifle, regular hunting ranges, fine. However if you want to shoot the longer, heavier, high BC pills that are becoming more prevalent now, the .308 is better with the faster twist, 1:11" or 1:10".

It does pay to have an idea what bullet you want to shoot... and how long the cartridge needs to be... handy to check magazine dimensions and the chambering dimensions in the shop before you press the green button! I say this from experience, getting home and finding the chamber doesn't allow for seating the bullet out a bit is somewhat frustrating.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Ah yes good points, probably shooting mainly the 168 amax or similar. I'm unsure of the magazine length so I'll have to make a phone call... Unless someone on here has one they could measure?

A mates shooting the 260 pro hunter and I am pretty impressed with it as a whole package.
    In saying that he has the nf 5x25 actar on it.
    They will make even a blouser shoot ok

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    BRADS and Rated M for Magnum like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    A mates shooting the 260 pro hunter and I am pretty impressed with it as a whole package.
    In saying that he has the nf 5x25 actar on it.
    They will make even a blouser shoot ok

Any chance he knows how long the magazine is?

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Any chance he knows how long the magazine is?
    To be fair it doesnt matter how long as it shoots the 143 eldx like a laser at mag length so job done.

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    To be fair it doesnt matter how long as it shoots the 143 eldx like a laser at mag length so job done.

That tells me they're long enough to make the most of the 260 cartridge I guess haha

Got one in 6.5x55 Swedish with the 20" mountain barrel. Fantastic rifle, which in my view leaves the Tikka T3, Howa, and most other mid range Synthetic stock rifles for dead.

Positives:
    Good weight and balance, very comfortable position when carrying with a sling.
    Very well built, robust, and can take a lot of punishment.
    Super accurate and rapid target acquisition due to the stock ergonomics.
    Stock length of pull is fully adjustable, you can lengthen or shorten by installing or removing extra spacer plates (you can buy extras)
    Very unique safety and bolt removal rotrary switch (great once you get use to it)

Negatives:
    Barrels can't be replaced by a gunsmith as they are a special pressed in arrangement which can only be done by Steyr
    Standard recoil plate is not great, but Steyr sell a soft recoil pad as an accessory that just clicks into place in 10 seconds.
    Extra magazines are quite expensive to purchase (but most European magazines are anyway these days)
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.

I had one in 708, it was very well made. Kicked something ridiculous considering the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Hi does anyone e have experience with steyr prohunter rifles? Looking at one in 308, blued action, stainless barrel, synthetic stock, 1 in 12 twist. Talk me out of it?
    Mate, you end up getting one? Thoughts?

Edit - im also thinking of getting one... that plastic safety scroll wheel thingy makes me cringe looking at it tho...
    Last edited by Fly-My-Pretties; 27-06-2019 at 10:33 PM.

I think gun city have these for a pretty good price in their sale this weekend. Might be worth checking out if u are in the market for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly-My-Pretties View Post
    Mate, you end up getting one? Thoughts?

Edit - im also thinking of getting one... that plastic safety scroll wheel thingy makes me cringe looking at it tho...
    Hey no I ended up getting a howa suppressed already off here

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    I think gun city have these for a pretty good price in their sale this weekend. Might be worth checking out if u are in the market for one.
    Yeah they've got them for 1100?! They've got deals on a few tikka rifles too I believe.