Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tommygun
  • 2 Post By Bueller

Thread: Steyr Prohunter

Steyr Prohunter

Can anyone advise what the barrel twist is for a Steyr Prohunter .270? It's new still on the rack nothing on the barrel, the gunshop doesn't know and I cant find anything on line.

Thanks

Gone but not forgotten
    Google tells me 1:8.6

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Google tells me 1:8.6
    Where did you find that? I can only find here say but nothing definite.

Their fore-ends are quite flexi aren't they Jeff?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Where did you find that? I can only find here say but nothing definite.
    Not definite, but that is what owners said on about three different shooting forums.

What year did your mate buy it was it series 1 or 2? does he know the rate.

@Huntfisheat Thanks for the info the stock appears to be different to one I tried several years ago, It's Perth W.A the guys in the gun shops know bugger all, I'm off to see another shop today, I'm told they have knowledgeable staff so I'll see.

Even if they don't know the twist rate off the top of their head, they could take a couple of minutes to measure it for you. Stick a snug patch on the end of a cleaning rod with a handle that spins easily a short way into the bore. Mark a point with a sharpie on the rod near the handle,, and another on the rod where it lines up with a fixed reference point on the rifle, eg the rear of the action where it joins the stock. Push the rod through until the dot near the handle has rotated a full turn, then stop and mark the rod at the same fixed point of the rifle. Take the rod out and the distance between the two dots along its length, in theory that is your twist rate, pretty accurate as long as the patch is oiled and snug in the bore. A gun shop shouldn't have an issue doing this/letting you do this.

Actually, this is even simpler, and he does it while explaining the whole thing in 90 seconds. https://youtu.be/cdoCNZBlRGQ
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Twist rate aside, I've owned three prohunters and have always found them very accurate. Real nice silky smooth bolts. My current .223 heavy barrel shoots 55gr Sierra gamekings into half an inch at 100m without much difficulty. They had issues with synthetic stock flexing in the series 1 prohunters apparently, but the series 2 have been fine in my experience. For the price they're great rifles.
    nor-west and bodvii like this.