Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree31Likes
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 10 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By R93
  • 2 Post By Beaker
  • 1 Post By spada
  • 3 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 3 Post By Hunter_killer
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 6 Post By 223nut

Thread: Stock torque settings

Stock torque settings

I'm sure this has been done in the past....

Ignoring the arguments for and against it, I have a torque wrench now and wondering what settings folks use. Mostly my stocks are boyds laminate wood so figure tighter than the plastic fantastic but not as tight as with a chassis system. (t3 in 308 and 10/22)

Had a look in manuals for both and could find any advice, same goes for the boyds site.

@223nut try Nathan Fosters book on rifle maintenance..
    bully likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

.Hmmm so doing a bit of googling it looks like I need to start at 16 inch lbs, shoot a few groups and then loosen screws off and tighten up by 2inch lbs to find the best setting. Sounds like a bit of mucking around but cheap and easy with the 10/22, can't say I'm that keen to do it with the 308

All a load of gobbledeegoop, do them up tight, sorted.

R93
    Pretty much. If your bedding is right there is no need for different settings between screws.

On a centerfire if the action flexes due to a poor chassis/bed then different settings may help. A 22 won't see much improvement imo.

Best way to tell if you have an action that is bending or flexing is to do up both screws and sit a DTI on the tang near the rear screw and undo it slowly. If you get over 10 thou then you may need to look at bedding.

Unless of course it shoots. Don't fuck with it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    .Hmmm so doing a bit of googling it looks like I need to start at 16 inch lbs, shoot a few groups and then loosen screws off and tighten up by 2inch lbs to find the best setting. Sounds like a bit of mucking around but cheap and easy with the 10/22, can't say I'm that keen to do it with the 308
    Inch lbs are so finicky, 16-20in/lb is regarded as being hand tight, using a finger & thumb. I wouldn't get too hooked up in it all.

The benefit of a torque wrench, is you do it the sme everytime - regardless of the actual measure. Ie do it up tight, see what it is, now everytime you undo them, tighten to the same.
    Sideshow and 223nut like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    The benefit of a torque wrench, is you do it the sme everytime - regardless of the actual measure. Ie do it up tight, see what it is, now everytime you undo them, tighten to the same.
    This was my thinking, the T3 308 and 10/22 get a stock swap and new scope every 6months.... No point having the long range rig on the island where 150m is a long shot

Found this fwiw

Re: Tikka torque settings??
    « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
    I posed the question to Beretta, specifically asking about the T3, and they replied with 51-53 inch lbs.
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Unless the screws, heads, action get wet or dry or oily or oilier ..... then it is hard to duplicate exactly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Unless the screws, heads, action get wet or dry or oily or oilier ..... then it is hard to duplicate exactly.....
    True true.
    (Temp, is torque wrench certified, your points, new/old bolts, etc.....)
    However, 1 click of felt elbow today on spanner, may not be the same next month with a 3ft longer spanner.
    Just trying to remove variables.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Name:  IMG_0969.PNG
Views: 243
Size:  155.5 KB
    Feather or Shoot, spada and 223nut like this.

I take my stocks off my rifles all the time to clean them, don't piss around torqueing them back up ever just put them back in and do them up tight and I have yet to see one of them shoot any different than they did before, maybe if you were talking a benchrest rifle or similar things like that might become important but for a hunting rifle.... yea nah
    Steve123 and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I take my stocks off my rifles all the time to clean them, don't piss around torqueing them back up ever just put them back in and do them up tight and I have yet to see one of them shoot any different than they did before, maybe if you were talking a benchrest rifle or similar things like that might become important but for a hunting rifle.... yea nah
    But but but... It's another 'thing' too be ocd about and an excuse to buy a torque wrench....