Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Straight pulls

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    If I remember rightly, the troy style almost AR configuration gives our coppers the heebie jeebies.
    Pretty sure the aussie coppers were whispering in our coppers ears about all the loopholes they had.
    Cant remember the comments but something along the lines of spirit of the ban.
    A lot of the euro types that are a quasi semi with a manual bolt release would really get them going
    I think you may be confusing the pump versions of the AR with the straight pull.

The reason NZ police gave for banning those, was that you did not need to break position in order to load another round. With the staight pulls you need to remove one of your hands in order to "rack" the action. The police did go up to Rotorua to have a very good look at the GBC version, and gave it the thumbs-up.
    csmiffy likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The straight pull AR type rifles have about the same practical rate of fire as a lever action rifle (lever action firing a pistol cartridge would be faster)

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The straight pull AR type rifles have about the same practical rate of fire as a lever action rifle (lever action firing a pistol cartridge would be faster)
    Which is fast enough for a future terrorist to get our firearms laws changed again.... special endorsements to be allowed to possess a rock of size suitable to be thrown will be required soon.
    PadLo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    I think you may be confusing the pump versions of the AR with the straight pull.

The reason NZ police gave for banning those, was that you did not need to break position in order to load another round. With the staight pulls you need to remove one of your hands in order to "rack" the action. The police did go up to Rotorua to have a very good look at the GBC version, and gave it the thumbs-up.
    Think he's taking about the straight pull MARS rifles.

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...-sa-58-m.a.r.s

Nifty bits of kit, but banned already.

Quote Originally Posted by PadLo View Post
    Think he's taking about the straight pull MARS rifles.

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...-sa-58-m.a.r.s

Nifty bits of kit, but banned already.
    Are these banned? I thought Aoraki had permission to import them, and was looking forward to seeing one.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Are these banned? I thought Aoraki had permission to import them, and was looking forward to seeing one.
    They have the straight pull ones, I have one of these as well. The MARS rifles are semi-semi auto, as in they have a gas system and auto eject, but require a second trigger pull to close the bolt. No chance those will be approved here.
    PadLo likes this.

The Aoraki ones are straight pull/bolt actions versions only.....that is the reason they were allowed in.They are very nicely made rifles indeed IMHO.