Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sub 20 inch .223 barrels. Who's running them?

So who is running .223 barrels that are less than 20 inches and how do you like them? Excluding AR's etc

I don't shoot much more than 300 mtrs with my one and it's used purely for varmints and shit. Currently using 55gr v-maxes if that makes any difference.

It's is 22 inches at the moment but it's getting a can so was thinking maybe 18 inches???

2900fps with 55gr factory from 14.5" AR

20" .223AI give me over 3000fps with 75gr

Yep 16" 1:8. Love it would cut down to 16 inch any day.
    I have been using 55g V Max at 3200 f/sec but have just started working up a 75gr A Max load. I'm getting over 3000 f/sec, not bad out of 16 inch. But at this stage have not settled on a final load for it.

16" at the moment, 14.5" hopefully by next week. 16" would be a good general purpose length for .223, maybe 18" if you like to stretch it out.

my Brno was 20 inches. Quite a bark and muzzle flash at night. Sold it before I put a can on it.
    Still very accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Im2lazy View Post
    Yep 16" 1:8. Love it would cut down to 16 inch any day.
    I have been using 55g V Max at 3200 f/sec but have just started working up a 75gr A Max load. I'm getting over 3000 f/sec, not bad out of 16 inch. But at this stage have not settled on a final load for it.
    Whats your load for 3200 fps from a 16 inch tube if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Whats your load for 3200 fps from a 16 inch tube
    26.1gr of BM2 with a CCI primer. It's not over hot but just seems to work really well and with low ES

Cool, thanks for that. I clearly have a slow barrel because I'm running more BM2 than that out of a 22 inch tube and only getting marginally faster speeds

General consensus seems to be to chop it so I sent it off to the gunsmith this afternoon.

Cheers all.

Cool, thanks for that. I clearly have a slow barrel because I'm running more BM2 than that out of a 22 inch tube and only getting marginally faster speeds
    I think you will like it.... a bit late if you don't

It will be interesting to run your load down your shortened barrel to see what speed you get then?

Yeh I don't know if it's a fast barrel or what. I'm getting 3015 f/sec with the 75gr A Max using 25.8gr BM2, which I think is pretty fast too.

Quote Originally Posted by Im2lazy View Post
    I think you will like it.... a bit late if you don't

It will be interesting to run your load down your shortened barrel to see what speed you get then?

Yeh I don't know if it's a fast barrel or what. I'm getting 3015 f/sec with the 75gr A Max using 25.8gr BM2, which I think is pretty fast too.
    Is that with a standard .223??!?!! How's your pressure? Because that's getting towards max (Ie blown primers type max was 3100) with 20" .223AI

My Zastava has a 19" barrel (was 22") and a GW lightweight overbarrel suppressor.

I'm using BM2 powder and either Nosler Shots, V-max's and Blitzkings (all 55gr) with between 24.0 and 24.9gr of powder.
    Dunno what speeds they're doing, as I have only been interested in nice tight groupings rather than speed.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

No this is not a standard .223............... It's a T3
    No real sign of pressure at that. Primers look fine, maybe a little flat. I've only done a ladder test at this stage so I'll go and re prime them and see if they have loosened up.

Just checked the primer pocket. seem fine to me.

16 inch barrelled Brno Fox, rechambered to .223 - handiest, lightest gun I own.

T3 Tikka 223 1:12" twist.

Measured by closing the bolt and dropping a cleaning rod down the muzzle. Length = 16".

Fitted ASE Jet-Z CQT can.

I measured the velocity at 3250fps when the barrel was 22". After its operation it was 3050fps. So I am happy with that. Ties in with what this web site had to say about shortening a 223 barrel.
    Effects of reducing barrel length on velocity

I fired of some rounds when I put the scope on it. Nothing fancy, just got the scope aligned and put 4 shots down range at 100yards one after the other, no resting in between.

I must admit I was surprised at the accuracy of this little rifle.

Dont get too hung up on where I had the calipers etc. I was in a rush. But it pretty darn good. That is 1/3" MOA. Four shot group too not 5, I will do something serious when I get time.

The load was 25 grains of 2208 under a Hornady flat base SP 55gn pill.