Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: The Super 270

The Super 270

This build all started when I got wind of the release of Berger's new 170gr EOL elite hunter hybrid projectile in .277cal
    I knew I had to have them and a few messages to Blackwatch reloading confirmed they could get them for me, within a week they had some landed and it was time to start to plan a build for a rifle to shoot them.
    Berger stated that they need a 9 twist or faster to stabilise and every 270 calibre rifle I could find runs a 10" twist from the factory, it was even proving difficult to find barrel blanks with a twist faster than 10". I had a wee play with them in my 270wsm finnlight and could get them shooting reasonably well with a very light load only doing 2400fps, any faster and they started spraying all over the show.
    I then decided that since I give all you forum guys a hard time because 270 is the best calibre in existence then I better build something that can spit them out at an impressive speed and really make use of their great bc, this rifle was to be a hunting rifle so I didn't want a big heavy barrel or anything like that.
    I contacted @Kiwi Greg and he confirmed he could source and import an 8" twist Kreiger barrel in 277cal for me, and from there we came up with a bit of a plan to put a rifle together.
    I decided that I would like to create a "27 Nosler" based on the 26 Nosler case necked up to 277cal, Greg confirmed it could be done and I left him too it.
    Fast forward to now and I now have the rifle in my greasy mitts, I'm really happy with how it's turned out and can't wait to start terrorising the local chamois and red populations with it.
    During load development the rifle told us it was capable of spitting the 170s out at over 3200fps with no pressure but we have settled on an accuracy load at about 3100 for now, still plenty of steam and should save the throat a bit.
    Build specs are:

Rem700 LA Magnum action with fluted and cerecoted black bolt

Kreiger 8" twist barrel finished at 26"

Terminator T2 brake

Timney Calvin Elite trigger

Ken Henderson Carbon fibre stock, aluminium bedding block and glass bedded

All metal work cerakoted Titanium Gunmetal grey

Talley one piece base/rings, Leupold VX6 3-18x44CDS, B&C reticle, illuminated and Aluminas

Many thanks to Greg who has gone over and above sourcing parts and getting it all together, keeping me informed of how things are going every step of the way, did all the load development and provided me with a turn-key rifle that exactly fits what I had imagined from the start, very happy with how its turned out.

Name:  20180627_104233.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  8.20 MB
    Name:  20180627_161122.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  8.93 MB
    Name:  20180627_161159.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  7.02 MB
    jakewire, Shootm, Tahr and 34 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

northdude
    Sorry couldn't resist and I know you can take it but what gay bar do you hang out at is there one called 270

northdude
    Nice tho

Bloody nice

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

very nice kit, you must be super happy with the result.
    What's the rig weight work out to ?
    Dairy pay out looking quite good at the moment I take it ?
    Shearer likes this.

I dont have ant scales here to weigh it but its nice to carry, bit heavier than my finnlight (which is silly light anyhow) so will be a good compromise between easy to carry and ability to shoot accurately, will update when I have weighed it
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Faaark sweet rig

270wsm with 150gr LRAB for comparison
    Name:  20180627_171941.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  4.55 MB
    chainsaw, 57jl, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Sweet mate Mean set up I got a Tikka T3x 270 about 10 mounts back and using hornady precision hunter 145gr ELD X have shot deer out to 678 yards no problems kills well . The 270 win would be nice in a 9 twist to give you a better range of projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    very nice kit, you must be super happy with the result.
    What's the rig weight work out to ?
    It weighs 3.940 kgs, 8.7lbs complete

Nice rig and in a different caliber. I just ran the numbers in the ballistic app and a 270 with 1000 f/lbs @ 1000m impressive. Look forward to see the kills with that bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Nice rig and in a different caliber. I just ran the numbers in the ballistic app and a 270 with 1000 f/lbs @ 1000m impressive. Look forward to see the kills with that bad boy.
    300 meters more than a standard 270
    Very nice Ryan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Cliff likes this.

GWH
    So it's basically the gay twin of my Ken Henderson Stocked T2 braked 28 Nosler ;-)

Nah seriously now mate, that has come up really nice eh, and i bet its the only one in the country too, very cool indeed, and it'll be a hammer. It'd be super easy to shoot mate, mine is basically exactly the same, apart from one contour heavier barrel, and in 28 Nosler shooting the 195 at 3100, and its crazy easy to shoot, could easily get away with less weight and still be super soft recoiling. Gregs brakes are the shizzle.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

SGR
    Shit that's a bloody grouse looking rifle !

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Sorry couldn't resist and I know you can take it but what gay bar do you hang out at is there one called 270
    ....only the curious would ask....
    BRADS, 257weatherby, LOC and 1 others like this.