Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Hornady ELDX
  • 1 Post By PadLo
  • 1 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 4 Post By Trout
  • 3 Post By Fssprecision

Thread: Suppressor coming lose

Suppressor coming lose

I have finally taken the 300 win mag out of "time out" after a couple of bad shooting episodes which I can only put down to muzzle blast and recoil and losing a couple of deer.
    I have had a DPT fitted and the barrel shortened to 22 inch ( lost about 50 fps with my 200 gr load) 190 LRAB is trundling along at just over 2900 fps which is about where I like it.
    My question to you guys who have been using suppressors for a long time especially on Magnums , do you experience a lose suppressor after one to two shots? and is there a way to stop it ?
    I have my 223 and 6.5x55 suppressed and this doesn't happen probably due to less boom coming out the end.
    I talked to me mate Rod and he said his 30 06 came lose the other day at the range so maybe it is a reasonably common to have them loosen up a little.

Never had one come loose on any of my 300 wsm which should be near enough to you calibre.
    I put lubricant on the barrel thread and have found that this works.
    At the most perhaps fire 1 shot and then check again
    Mooseman and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I have finally taken the 300 win mag out of "time out" after a couple of bad shooting episodes which I can only put down to muzzle blast and recoil and losing a couple of deer.
    I have had a DPT fitted and the barrel shortened to 22 inch ( lost about 50 fps with my 200 gr load) 190 LRAB is trundling along at just over 2900 fps which is about where I like it.
    My question to you guys who have been using suppressors for a long time especially on Magnums , do you experience a lose suppressor after one to two shots? and is there a way to stop it ?
    I have my 223 and 6.5x55 suppressed and this doesn't happen probably due to less boom coming out the end.
    I talked to me mate Rod and he said his 30 06 came lose the other day at the range so maybe it is a reasonably common to have them loosen up a little.
    Have an internet hunt for the 'snap method'.

It's probably down to a half thread cut.
    Mooseman likes this.

@Mooseman l have had a suppressor for my 300 Wby Mag for over a decade & never had the problem ,they do recommend a light coat of oil is put on the muzzle thread before the suppressor is screwed on.As l take it this is a recent fitting, you may be best off getting in contact with DPT,as proper threading is critical as the suppressor needs to be snug against the thread shoulder & if your muzzle thread has no thread relief, this will cause tightening problems .

l have always found them good to deal with & they appreciate the feed back ,l was one of the first orders for a 270 WSM & they checked a few times & sent me a beanie for input .

I did a few Machine gun shoots with clients collections in the US & they would even just pre heat the suppressors in a oven & light oil threads ,put suppressor on with a welding glove & that was it for 100's of rounds .

Keep us updated will be interesting to hear what the solution is
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Took my 300 Win Mag out today and tried it at 200 yards , was a bit low and left so adjusted it. Only fired two shot but the suppressor didn't come lose.
    I put a bit of oil on the thread and did the snap method of tightening it and it appears to have worked. It was still tight and had to give it a good hard turn to loosen it. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info guys.

spring washers also work if nothing else
    Mooseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Took my 300 Win Mag out today and tried it at 200 yards , was a bit low and left so adjusted it. Only fired two shot but the suppressor didn't come lose.
    I put a bit of oil on the thread and did the snap method of tightening it and it appears to have worked. It was still tight and had to give it a good hard turn to loosen it. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info guys.
    Put a little strip of twink on top barrel and end of suppresser.So at a glance you can see if its moved or not.Name:  20211023_204037.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  18.4 KB
    Brian, Bill999, Mooseman and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    spring washers also work if nothing else
    I would be really careful with this, the alignment of the suppressor to the bore is partly governed by being pulled up to the square shoulder, if you put a spring washer on there it could easily lead to tipping the suppressor slightly and baffle strike.
    Carbine, Mooseman and dannyb like this.