Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Suppressor Recoil Reduction Testing???

LJP

Suppressor Recoil Reduction Testing???

Theres plenty of information on suppressor noise reduction but has anyone actually done recoil testing of the various NZ suppressors available? It would be very interesting to see who had the best recoil reduction vs noise reduction - anybody here actually tested this?

KiwiGreg and Dean Maisey have both posted videos of suppressor vs muzzle brake testing. Don't think they have done it with several suppressor brands though.

Good question mate

I seen Kiwigregs suppressor vs brake test but think that was with a gunworks can?

Would be interesting to see, Talking to Dan hardy he says his system reduces recoil more then others with its internal muzzle brake.

There were a few threads on Fnh on this topic. See my links in the the other suppressor thread.
    Welcome to Sako club.

gunworks can's have internal muzzle brakes too. but internal brake can't really port the gases like a proper brake can.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Good question mate

I seen Kiwigregs suppressor vs brake test but think that was with a gunworks can?

Would be interesting to see, Talking to Dan hardy he says his system reduces recoil more then others with its internal muzzle brake.
    With all due respect to Dan who appears to make great stuff (including now, from personal experience, barrels) did he say whether he had purchased/borrowed an example of each of his competitors' products and tested them in a suitable rig to support his claim?
    Rich007 likes this.

A brake inside a can can't actually function like a brake.
    mikee and Daggers_187 like this.

Suppressors slow the recoil impulse and reduce the peak force, total momentum doesn't reduce a lot which is why kiwi Greg can make videos saying they don't reduce recoil buy a brake, but the recoil impulse is much changed in feel & less sharp
    DAF, Puffin and Spudattack like this.

You could always claim that all the recoil reduction of a suppressor is due to the 200grms extra weight but taping a 200grm weight to your rifle doesn't make it hearing safe
    Daggers_187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    You could always claim that all the recoil reduction of a suppressor is due to the 200grms extra weight but taping a 200grm weight to your rifle doesn't make it hearing safe
    Physics, how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    With all due respect to Dan who appears to make great stuff (including now, from personal experience, barrels) did he say whether he had purchased/borrowed an example of each of his competitors' products and tested them in a suitable rig to support his claim?
    I don't know mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Suppressors slow the recoil impulse and reduce the peak force, total momentum doesn't reduce a lot which is why kiwi Greg can make videos saying they don't reduce recoil buy a brake, but the recoil impulse is much changed in feel & less sharp
    Exactly what I have been saying, the same amount of work is done but the time in which it takes is increased.

Kiwi Gregs test is flawed in that it measures total work rather than peak force which is what needs to be measured.

It is the same if I made you sit on a skateboard on a flat surface and then kicked you as hard in the back as I could, measured how far you rolled and then reset the test, but this time gently pushed you to the same mark, I then deduced that it is just as unpleasant to be pushed gently as kicked as we moved the same distance.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Exactly what I have been saying, the same amount of work is done but the time in which it takes is increased.

Kiwi Gregs test is flawed in that it measures total work rather than peak force which is what needs to be measured.

It is the same if I made you sit on a skateboard on a flat surface and then kicked you as hard in the back as I could, measured how far you rolled and then reset the test, but this time gently pushed you to the same mark, I then deduced that it is just as unpleasant to be pushed gently as kicked as we moved the same distance.
    I agree the sled test isn't the best way to show it, but if you put a decent brake on a rifle & a suppressor on the same rifle I can guarantee you the recoil difference will surprise you

Make it a light 338 shooting 300s & its a complete no brainer, or even a 300 Wsm etc shooting 200-230s

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

Gregs new sled jig has a counter weight hanging down the front, I think if he added more weight to the counter weight to just the point where the rifle wouldn't move when fired and then redid the test with different attachments (brakes suppressors) on the front, adjusting the weight through all the tests, that would then give us a peak force so we would get a better idea of the felt recoil.

all I know is my .270 SEEMS/FEELS like a pussy to shoot now and doesn't leave anywhere near as many "love bites" on my shoulder as it used to do un canned
    I also know Im more than happy to fire 150s and hot 170s where as before only 130s got used,and I only have a Spartan on mine.