Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suppressor vs Muzzle brake

Suppressor vs Muzzle brake

just got my filthy paws on a 300 rum and trying to tame the beast. what do you long range guys go for on your rigs? suppressors or muzzle brakes? and why? seems they both reduce recoil to a similar degree but suppressor extends the length a lot and costs a bit more. couldnt find any concrete answer on google. think there was an answer a while back in nzhunter but cant track that down either. apologies if this has been covered before. Kiwi greg youd be the brains on this ?? cheers guys!

R93
    A muzzle break is more efficient than a supp for recoil reduction. They are unsociable things as they are loud and can throw crap everywhere, wouldnt ever use one near a dog.
    However I prefer them for LR shooting. If at a comp or shooting with a heap of mates I would take it of or use a supp.
    You will find both handy.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    muzzel breaks suck unless you have hearing protection. all of my rifles are suppressed
    Addicted to gun powder

Caretaker
    A kiwigreg Terminator series muzzle brake reduces recoil for me more than any other brake on the planet, i ordered two from him in the T3 size and they outperform every other brake i have used.
    Same can be said of his T2 brakes which are perfect for slimmer muzzled magnums.
    I just sent him a pm and the brakes were on their way.
    Scott trail fitted them and remarked on their precision.
    I have used very expensive custom suppressors fitted with two internal muzzle brakes and the terminator muzzle brakes feel to be 50 or 60 percent better again.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

AB Precision
    thats because a suppressor an a muzzel brake are made for to completly different reasions, so it depends on what the user wants personal prefferance in the end, see if you can have a go with both??

A suppressor doesn't reduce recoil as much as an average brake, the bigger the calibre the bigger the gap between the two.
    A suppressor for the bigger calibres needs to be fairly big/heavy to cope with the powder volume & pressure.
    The bigger the barrel profile the larger the suppressor needs to be to get the internal volume, required.
    Mirage off the suppressor can be a big issue for muliple shots with the bigger cannons especially.
    Brakes are unsociable things at the best of times, some blow stuff around worse than others.
    Electronic earmuffs are the answer for hunting, I always use ear plugs & muffs when at the range or steel target shooting.
    Some brakes are better than others at directing the muzzle blast/noise away from the shooter.

What model, profile barrel does your Rum have Dave ?

Sorry to jump in on this but I have a Q,

I have a RRA LAR-8 26" Varmint I am about to have cut to 20" I want to suppress it as well, any idea on the size of can it would take, ie over barrel? will be taking it the HRE in P Nth for the work....

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1974 View Post
    Sorry to jump in on this but I have a Q,

I have a RRA LAR-8 26" Varmint I am about to have cut to 20" I want to suppress it as well, any idea on the size of can it would take, ie over barrel? will be taking it the HRE in P Nth for the work....
    They should help you out with deciding what will work best. Gun works do heaps of supps for AR platforms. They would be worth a look or phone call as as well.

all depends on what you use the rifle for,
    if its alpine work and light weight is the end goal - muzzle break
    if its high use and not far carry - suppressor
    my ears still ring from forgetting earplugs tho. then again its only been 2.5 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    A suppressor doesn't reduce recoil as much as an average brake, the bigger the calibre the bigger the gap between the two.
    A suppressor for the bigger calibres needs to be fairly big/heavy to cope with the powder volume & pressure.
    The bigger the barrel profile the larger the suppressor needs to be to get the internal volume, required.
    Mirage off the suppressor can be a big issue for muliple shots with the bigger cannons especially.
    Brakes are unsociable things at the best of times, some blow stuff around worse than others.
    Electronic earmuffs are the answer for hunting, I always use ear plugs & muffs when at the range or steel target shooting.
    Some brakes are better than others at directing the muzzle blast/noise away from the shooter.

What model, profile barrel does your Rum have Dave ?
    not sure about the barrell profile its a stainless remmy 700 barrel but not sendero coz its not fluted

kiwi gregs spot on with the mirage off the suppressor, after 15-20 rounds of 308 it gets tricky to see on high mag
    but i wouldnt swap my suppressor for anything, shot 114 rounds last weekend straight with no ear plugs

I dont take em hunting but I wear earplugs at the range or plinking regardless... I like hearing
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I previously had two different muzzle braked rifles. Tried a suppressor for little bit with my most recent rifle then went straight back to a muzzle brake (number 3). One of KG's this time, it's the first muzzle break that has let me keep an A4 target in my sights under recoil at 100y and 14x. It's the first ported brake I've used more than a little bit and they seem alot better than radial ones. Unless you're specifically looking to reduce the noise to protect somethings hearing then go muzzle brake all the way. Just develop good earprotection behaivours. And warn all ya mates and keep a small stash of extra ear plugs in the truck
    Eastern Wander likes this.

Caretaker
    Yesterday afternoon when the rain cleared Ross and i set up my light edge and watched a grassy 300yrd gap between two beech forests 1000yrds distant. At 5.15pm He dropped a beaut mature Sika hind in her silver/grey winter coat at 920yrds. Describing the hinds reaction to the hit he relived the shot in accurate detail, i put my binos down and turned the hd vid off. Had he used anything other than a good brake he would have needed more than the 1.1 seconds of projectile flight to get his sight picture back.
    I wanted the winter coat as a trophy but when she was turned over there was a bloody great hole blown out her chest, skin ruined
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

This guy claims to get up to 90% recoil reduction from his suppressors Latest R&D. MATRIX suppression unit – VIDEO | Sub-Silent Suppressors see bottom of page..