Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Suppressors & Rain

Suppressors & Rain

For twenty years I've taped the muzzle on my rifle to stop rain, snow and mud from entering the barrel. But now I have a suppressor, what am I to do?

Can I tape the end of the suppressor like the end of a barrel? I'm thinking I can't as my HRE Gen IV has that weird end. What happens if you fire a shot through a wet suppressor?

How do I clean snow or mud out of it if need be?

This issue, along with weight and length (and the general "just another thing to go wrong") are why I'm still on the fence with these devices. I do like my hearing though so the trial continues.....

Caretaker

Suppressors & Rain

Tape it up.

If taping bothers you then buy stick on dots from warehouse stationary, they come in many sizes and colours, and are in a convenient applicator box.

Perfect for covering the large ends often found on suppressors.
    tetawa, mikee, Pengy and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yes you can put tape on your suppressor
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    For twenty years I've taped the muzzle on my rifle to stop rain, snow and mud from entering the barrel. But now I have a suppressor, what am I to do?

Can I tape the end of the suppressor like the end of a barrel? I'm thinking I can't as my HRE Gen IV has that weird end. What happens if you fire a shot through a wet suppressor?

How do I clean snow or mud out of it if need be?

This issue, along with weight and length (and the general "just another thing to go wrong") are why I'm still on the fence with these devices. I do like my hearing though so the trial continues.....
    Depending on the suppressor design, the internal baffles should stop any water or snow from obstructing the bullet's path. Unless you're Seal Team 6 and you submerge your rifle. The air in front of the bullet should force out any dirt etc in the suppressor muzzle hole before the bullet gets there. If you trip over and jam your muzzle into the dirt, you're going to know about it and take the time to clear the obstruction before continuing.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hi mate. I just stick an inch long piece of insulation tape over the hole on the suppressor to keep the crap out. Works well. I have a DPT.

I just tape over the end of the suppressor and couple of mates have Hardy cans and do the same but need more tape because of holes.

Pretty well thrashed here http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...pressor-21710/
    Just read page 1 and a bit as the thread degenerates after that
    Last edited by zimmer; 08-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    quentin likes this.

res
    I put a small bit of insulation tape on, doesn't seem to affect point of aim. You can buy extra wide roles of tape that would cover a hardy or the like
    Using Tapatalk

Sweet thanks team. Sounds good.

What else you got for us to solve mate?
    Pointer, Pengy, BRADS and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Tape it up.

If taping bothers you then buy stick on dots from warehouse stationary, they come in many sizes and colours, and are in a convenient applicator box.

Perfect for covering the large ends often found on suppressors.
    These are my go to for covering end of suppressor as well as covering holes when target shooting so people don't get confused about where they are shooting. Works well for those with fuddled memory cells (me)
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    These are my go to for covering end of suppressor as well as covering holes when target shooting so people don't get confused about where they are shooting. Works well for those with fuddled memory cells (me)
    Good for covering up the flyer in the nice tight group too aye
    Pengy likes this.

HRE - Gladwrap works well and a small rubber band then the neoprene cover over the top.

I had to laugh when I read @stretch 's entry as I immediately remembered those military films of guys pulling their rubber johnny's over the end of the muzzle - and i guess that would work too

I guess if you're gonna give a deer a good F&*$ing - best be safe out there...
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Good for covering up the flyer in the nice tight group too aye
    I don't get flyers. I often get a wayward shot due to a freak gust of wind on an otherwise perfectly calm day
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

@carpet_diem was going to mention that I have seen a bloke pull out a rubber in a hut out the back of beyond.... Was a bit concerned till it went over the end of his rifle