Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ishoot10s
  • 1 Post By Larskramer
  • 1 Post By Larskramer

Thread: supressor sitting inside handgaurd

supressor sitting inside handgaurd

Hey guys,

Just asking a question here, and would like opinions from experience would be beneficial.

But, in theory, if a hand gaurd/ forend with 39mm internal diameter was to have a supressor that's 38mm diameter inside of it, would this be a bad move? Would barrell harmonics cause problems etc ?

What would be the minimum clearance between a supressor and a handgaurd?

Cheers

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I had this on a blackout. Smoke the inside front edge of the hand guard with a burning match, spin on the can with white masking tape around the bit that lines up with the smoked area. Shoot it or bang the hand guard with your hand a few times. If you get carbon transferred to the tape, you’re not golden.
    Bill999 likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

See here: https://youtu.be/0yzKLyARNeU
    I guess it depends on what barrel thickness/length/calibre you have, and how much it 'whips' when fired. Very close tolerances are always a good thing in firearms, except where things that aren't supposed to touch end up in contact. I'd say that 1mm is too close for comfort on most rifles.

It's a bartlein barrel, super heavy profile.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

1mm may be enough if the barrel is super rigid, but I'd hate to test that and get it wrong. What caliber is it?

6 5prc. If it's too dodgy of a risk, I'll just make it close to flush with the end.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

any chance you could remove the forend and get it turned up in a lathe. Take another mm off the inside for a short distance and then fit your suppressor. A suppressor tucked neatly inside the hand guard makes for a very tidy unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    any chance you could remove the forend and get it turned up in a lathe. Take another mm off the inside for a short distance and then fit your suppressor. A suppressor tucked neatly inside the hand guard makes for a very tidy unit.
    That was pretty much the plan mate. Yeah, I know a few people with lathes, and I'm sure I can get a lil more clearance. In a super heavy profile barrell would would the minimum clearance be ?