Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By clickbang
  • 2 Post By res
  • 2 Post By Konev

Thread: svd/tigr "straight pull" to semi conversion?

svd/tigr "straight pull" to semi conversion?

Hi, I see a lot of companies are selling the svd/tigr rifles with only being a straight pull design. Seems like the gas system has been disabled, either it has a plugged gas block or maybe the barrel port has not been drilled? They appear to still have the gas/piston tube is still there.
    Anyone have one and can tell me whats done to them or whats missing?
    Thanks in advance

Better off just buying one that runs the way it's meant to. They come up for sale all the time. Any particular reason you want an SVD or Saiga?

There was a thread somewhere here about converting an sks or ak to manual quite a while back. Looked quite involved and once finished it would not be going back to semi.

For the money they are asking for the straight pull ones you can almost get one that works as it should. Don't know why you would bother with a manual action one to be honest, just buy a bolt gun if you don't like semis. Just my opinion though
    steven likes this.

The std SVD is not a very accurate gun (1 1/2moa +) and they are asking $3k (ish?) for a "bolt action" gun. For 3k I'd assume you could get a really good hunting rifle? I would quite like to own a semi-auto one but I'd rather spend the $3k on a semi-auto AR10 and be far happier.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by clickbang View Post
    For the money they are asking for the straight pull ones you can almost get one that works as it should. Don't know why you would bother with a manual action one to be honest, just buy a bolt gun if you don't like semis. Just my opinion though
    Some of the idea (rightly or wrongly) was accuracy at longer ranges was improved with no moving parts while firing hence disabling the semi auto function. Also means 10 round mags were legal in them..(or larger) I dont know if acuracy was improed but for those that like that sort of thing they are fun to shoot. I prefer a bolt myself but an see the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The std SVD is not a very accurate gun (1 1/2moa +) and they are asking $3k (ish?) for a "bolt action" gun. For 3k I'd assume you could get a really good hunting rifle? I would quite like to own a semi-auto one but I'd rather spend the $3k on a semi-auto AR10 and be far happier.
    For $2500 budget, check these out ....DPT chassis for Tikka T3 and T3x - DPT Machinists $1500 for the stock and $1000 for a Tikka action. It will be accurate but not Russian....If DPT would make one for a Howa then there would some fun to be had....

Apparently the accuracy of the Dragunov declined when the twist rate was increased to allow the use of tracer and AP rounds. According to the Republic Arms website the Tigr uses the old twist rate. I have not shot either rifle so cannot confirm the relevance of the aforementioned information to achievable accuracy.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

THose straight pull TIGR's are impossible to convert to semi auto, short of getting a new bolt carrier and piston assembly.

The problem with SVD/TIGR is the scope system. The milspec scopes are simply rubbish, and don't hold zero like a European or American one. How can the little lever on the Russian scope hold zero on such a powerful recoiling rifle ?

I used to shoot one out to 600m with the barnaul 203 grain, but the scope just kept letting it down, also the ammo (203gn) would drop like a stone after 600m and not be consistent.
    Like you go for a long stalk throught the hills and finally when you want to take that important shot, the zero would be off.

Just get an AR10, M14 or a Remington etc.

res
    I think some people are missing the point that if you want a drag, then you want a drag. And if it's not the best tool then that hardly matters.
    Is a ar10 or the like a better rifle for the $? Hell yes, but if you have always wanted a drag then it just doesn't tick that box.

To the op, semi drags are regularly available for the same price as the strait pull ones so just bide your time and watch trademe
    AzumitH and Steve123 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I purchased one of the straight pull ones for shits n giggles a while back, shoots alright. However there is no way you will be converting it to semi, the gas block on it purely aesthetic and does not come apart like the semi-auto. There have been 2 semi-auto ones for sale on Trade Me over the last few weeks for around $3000-$3500, or a Chinese NDM86 for $3300, only a few hundred over the straight pull one.

buy a ticket to Iraq and buy one in a market place then send it home. will be a lot cheaper.
    shooternz and Knoxy_09 like this.