Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: swaro 4-12 scope or zeiss v4 6-24

swaro 4-12 scope or zeiss v4 6-24

hey guys,

got a bit of a dilemma. currently have 2 scopes and only one rifle (7mm rem mag) to use them on which means i'm looking at getting rid of whichever doesn't suit me best. first is a swarovski 4-12x50 and the other is a zeiss v4 6-24x50. does anyone have experience with these scopes? leaning more towards the swaro as the minimum 6 power on the zeiss might make short range stuff whilst hunting tricky...having twice as much zoom power as the swaro is tempting though. thoughts?

cheers

I didnt like my v4 6-24. Dials were too mushy and found it lost light/gathered less light than my vx6 3-18x44 and vx5 3-15. Id prefer the swaro over the two, ive had a 3-18 z5 and it was a good scope, i just didnt like how it dialed in IPHY
    Moa Hunter likes this.

cheers for the input keengunNic!
    keengunNic likes this.

The other option could be get another rifle?
    That would balance the scope:rifle ratio.

Sorry, not really helping you out.
    planenutz likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

yeah that's a possibility but can't really justify having 2 guns with bills to pay and what not
    Joe_90 likes this.

Swaro 4-12 would easily my pick as an allrounder. 12x is more than enough for NZ imo

Will sell the swaro easier but zeiss is less user friendly if the gun spends any time in the bush. What is your main type of hunting?

spend most of my time in open country and creek systems, not really a bush hunter at all.

Sell both and get a Z5 3-18 - happy medium as it'll do short and long range, with some money left over for your next hunting trip!
    jakewire, Moa Hunter and Hermitage like this.

A 7mm Rem Mag was made for long-range shooting... 600 yds+ so you still need enough scope for that. My view is that 12x is not quite enough...
    However, with your 6-24x you end up with a 6x bottom zoom and that is going to cost you missed animals in low light, reduced field of view at shorter ranges, and make it difficult for quick target acquisition.

So sell both the Zeiss and Swarovski and buy a 3-18x.

For great optics and zoom flexibility, a 3.5-18x44 Swarovski Z5 or Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 would fit the bill.
    Also the VX-6 3-18x44. And if you find a second-hand one that makes them good value for $$ with the Swarovski and Leupold lifetime warranty.
    7.62 and Nathanfish like this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Gkp
    Swaro has a finer rectile and better glass. That's my pick

I love my V4 6-24 on my hunting rig. I also love my Swaro Z5 3-18 on my varmint rig.
    I extend my 6.5x284 out a further than the one revolution the Swaro gives so wouldn’t run that with 7RM personally.
    The Z5 is a lighter though and if 600yds is your max then it may we’ll work for you.
    The Swaro Z3 4-12 wouldn’t cut it imo, you’d get feed up with the low magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Sell both and get a Z5 3-18 - happy medium as it'll do short and long range, with some money left over for your next hunting trip!
    This. Sell both and get the Z5 or vx6 3-18

vx6 is tempting now you all mention it...food for thought anyway. cheers for the help guys. will be making a decision soon

If you do decide on a VX-6 @hunterNZ , then pay a bit more and buy the HD version.

The VX-6HD not only has better glass but also an improved dual erector tracking system (which is worth the extra $)
    keengunNic likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.