Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Swaro SLC W B 8x42 vs Leica Trinovid HD 8x42

ebf

Swaro SLC W B 8x42 vs Leica Trinovid HD 8x42

Looking at upgrading binos this year.

Primarily NI hunting.

Currently using Nikon Monarch 10x42s that I've had for yonks.

Any comments on these 2 models appreciated, or if you think there is something else I should be looking at in this type of bracket.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I've just upgraded from some bushnells to the trinovids, very, very happy. Unfortunately we've been locked in since recieving so I dont get to put them to good use yet. The zeiss conquests have dropped down to same price bracket and have really nice glass also.
    ebf likes this.

Just be careful buying 8x over 10x
    Ok in the compact/pocket models but resale on 8x not good
    8 out of 10 hunter's opt for 10x in 42+ aperture binos
    I would think the Swaro would edge the Trinovids
    But for the money the Trinivid are a great bino
    ebf likes this.

ebf
    Tx Sarvo, looking at 8's because as I said mainly NI, I am keen to maximize FOV

8 power with 42 gives greater exit pupil, so by my thinking that is a plus for low-light compared to 10x42
    cameronjackwhite likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

8 power with 42 gives greater exit pupil, so by my thinking that is a plus for low-light compared to 10x42
    I did the same...
    ebf likes this.

Leicas would save a few bucks.

I prefer 8x
    Main reason do not exaggerate my shake
    But I also sell them and sale stat's don't lie
    But if you confident in long term get what best suits you and not think of next owner :-)

Looking at upgrading binos this year.

Primarily NI hunting.

Currently using Nikon Monarch 10x42s that I've had for yonks.

Any comments on these 2 models appreciated, or if you think there is something else I should be looking at in this type of bracket.
    I reckon the Swaro EL 10 x 32 are the perfect New Zealand compact bino. I have EL 10 x 42’s which are very nice but size and weight wise the 32’s are the answer and you lose nothing in magnification. Just my opinion.
    K95, davhope, Shearer and 3 others like this.

I use Swarovski 8x25 CL Pockets and they're awesome. Personally I'd never end up taking 42mm sized binos anywhere, when you can save half a kg in weight and keep that off your neck. I use my binos everyday working and the 25mm are still excellent first light. Difference between 25mm and 42mm light gathering doesn't outweigh the practicality of pocket binos for me. How often are you glassing and trying to shoot something in that last couple of mins of light, not often I find. Might spot it but then you've still got to shoot it... My 2c.
    Last edited by joelhenton; 03-04-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    mikee, Shearer, Sideshow and 3 others like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    I reckon the Swaro EL 10 x 32 are the perfect New Zealand compact bino. I have EL 10 x 42’s which are very nice but size and weight wise the 32’s are the answer and you lose nothing in magnification. Just my opinion.
    Some hunters prefer 8x32 or 8x30 over the 10x because of the better low light ability. I have been using a pair of Swaro Companion CL 8x30's (new model) and they're excellent although not as good optically as the EL 8X32's.

I know a dog that started an organic coffee store
    I’m in the same boat was looking to upgrade before lock down keen to hear thoughts on the swaro slc and zeiss conquest and weather it’s worth pushing the boat right out on some swaro el is the difference really noticeable between these mid level and top alphas eg slc conquest Trinovid vs noctivid or el
    Cheers

Interested where you go with this as I find 10x definitely not as steady as my old 7x.
    Ok if you concentrate and use two hands,elbows on knees, lean on something etc.
    ebf likes this.

I've had a pair of 8x30 WB SLCs for 20 years and been extremely happy with them.

I've owned compact binos (Swarovski 10x25 and Zeiss Victory FL 10x32). Weren't comfortable for very long glassing sessions, and the small exit pupils caused black-outs.

I'm now running 8.5x42 EL's and they're a perfect middle ground between performance and weight.

Bottom line: try before you buy, because what may work for one might not work for you. It's not like buying a sandwich maker where you can read a few reviews online and be confident that you'll get the exact same performance. Everything from your age, to your facial structure and the size of your hands can have an effect on the comfort of a pair of binos.
    10-Ring, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

K95
    Try out whatever you decide to buy before purchasing. Binos and spotters all vary in how they 'feel' to look through, even within the same brand eg. Swaro SLC Vs EL the EL 'feel' they have a fish eye effect when panning with them compared to the SLC.