Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Swaro Z8i vs Z6/Z6i

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    803

    Swaro Z8i vs Z6/Z6i

    Anyone here played with the new Swarovski Z8i scopes, and if so, how do they stack up against the older Z6's (glass wise)? The Z8i 1-8x24 is of particular interest as it's slightly lighter and more compact than the larger models.

    Also - how reliable is the illumination system on the Swaro scopes? I hate how they've got buttons and switches on them; makes them seem a little over-complicated and a bit gimmicky (i.e the rotary dial system on S&B scopes instill greater confidence and feels more robust).

    Have any of you been running an illuminated Swaro for at least 5 years, and can attest to their durability in the long term? How have they taken knocks in the field/cold temperatures/rain & moisture etc.

    Cheers,
    AJ

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Anyone here played with the new Swarovski Z8i scopes, and if so, how do they stack up against the older Z6's (glass wise)? The Z8i 1-8x24 is of particular interest as it's slightly lighter and more compact than the larger models.

    Also - how reliable is the illumination system on the Swaro scopes? I hate how they've got buttons and switches on them; makes them seem a little over-complicated and a bit gimmicky (i.e the rotary dial system on S&B scopes instill greater confidence and feels more robust).

    Have any of you been running an illuminated Swaro for at least 5 years, and can attest to their durability in the long term? How have they taken knocks in the field/cold temperatures/rain & moisture etc.

    Cheers,
    AJ
    I sold my Z8 for 1-8 for a Sightron 1-7 and have never been happier. Although the Sightron 1-7 is discoed, it is excellent if you can find one. It does give up 10' in FOV department, but glass is every bit as good.

    If you have lots of cashola, the Swaro is nice. If you can find a Sightron, it is 95% of the Swaro and saves some cash. The Sightron gives up no image quality to the Swaro at all.

  3. #3
    Member ARdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wellington and Perth
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
    The Sightron gives up no image quality to the Swaro at all.
    Ha, pull the other one mate
    Philipo, kiwijames, BRADS and 1 others like this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
    I sold my Z8 for 1-8 for a Sightron 1-7 and have never been happier. Although the Sightron 1-7 is discoed, it is excellent if you can find one. It does give up 10' in FOV department, but glass is every bit as good.

    If you have lots of cashola, the Swaro is nice. If you can find a Sightron, it is 95% of the Swaro and saves some cash. The Sightron gives up no image quality to the Swaro at all.
    Glad you're happy with your Sightron, but I'm specifically looking at the Swaro line.

  5. #5
    The Scope Whore ! Philipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmy Nth
    Posts
    2,587
    I reviewed a 1.7 -13 Z8 ( NZ GUNS Jul/Aug 2018 ) was a bloody nice scope, excellent glass, dual illuminated reticle was pretty cool & absolutely love the ZO turrets.

    Very cool scope, just a little heavy for what I'll use on a LW bush rifle, hence why I won't put one on my 30 ARX
    Frodo likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arrowtown
    Posts
    722
    Hey @Frodo

    I have a Z6i and so far I've had nothing but great service from it. The scope is coming up 2 years old so I admit we're not talking the 5+ years experience you're looking for, but in this time I've had it in all manner of extremes and as you'd expect, it performs flawlessly.

    I don't see environmental factors as being a concern - for a start Swarovski have good products that are well proven... and secondly I believe they will stand behind their warranty in the unlikely event of problems.

    Operation of the illumination is actually very basic. You turn it on either in Night mode or Daylight mode. It doesn't get any simpler. Once you have the brightness set for each of those modes, you're unlikely to change them. I have never needed to adjust my Daylight setting but I do change my night setting sometimes depending on what I'm doing. I find that when I'm spotlighting I need a little more ilumination so I bump it up a couple of clicks but when I'm stalking in moonlight I could do with a little less so button it down. The range is quite large and seems to cover everything I could ever imagine me needing. Additionaly, in case you're not aware, the ilumination turns off if you lay the rifle down or put it over your shoulder. As such I've never had to replace the battery. In the unlikely event I did run the battery flat a spare is held under the windage cap.

    In terms of the extremes, I've used it from sea level to 8000 feet and from those exhausting hot summer days to "this snow is so cold, I can't feel my legs!" This April I tested its waterproofness in Fiordland rain and again in the hills around West Canterbury during sleet. I can tell you the scope is definitely more waterproof than these stupid waterproof gloves I bought.

    Hope that helps.

    Oh, and if you do decide to go that way and then don't like it, let me know as I could do with a cheap Z8i.
    kiwijames and Frodo like this.

  7. #7
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    3,411
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Hey @Frodo

    I have a Z6i and so far I've had nothing but great service from it. The scope is coming up 2 years old so I admit we're not talking the 5+ years experience you're looking for, but in this time I've had it in all manner of extremes and as you'd expect, it performs flawlessly.

    I don't see environmental factors as being a concern - for a start Swarovski have good products that are well proven... and secondly I believe they will stand behind their warranty in the unlikely event of problems.

    Operation of the illumination is actually very basic. You turn it on either in Night mode or Daylight mode. It doesn't get any simpler. Once you have the brightness set for each of those modes, you're unlikely to change them. I have never needed to adjust my Daylight setting but I do change my night setting sometimes depending on what I'm doing. I find that when I'm spotlighting I need a little more ilumination so I bump it up a couple of clicks but when I'm stalking in moonlight I could do with a little less so button it down. The range is quite large and seems to cover everything I could ever imagine me needing. Additionaly, in case you're not aware, the ilumination turns off if you lay the rifle down or put it over your shoulder. As such I've never had to replace the battery. In the unlikely event I did run the battery flat a spare is held under the windage cap.

    In terms of the extremes, I've used it from sea level to 8000 feet and from those exhausting hot summer days to "this snow is so cold, I can't feel my legs!" This April I tested its waterproofness in Fiordland rain and again in the hills around West Canterbury during sleet. I can tell you the scope is definitely more waterproof than these stupid waterproof gloves I bought.

    Hope that helps.

    Oh, and if you do decide to go that way and then don't like it, let me know as I could do with a cheap Z8i.
    Is your z6i a 1-6x24? Any pictures of it on a rifle
    Frodo likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arrowtown
    Posts
    722
    No @MSL its a 2.5 -15 x 44 BT 4Ai.

    Freakin' love it.
    Frodo likes this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Hey @Frodo

    I have a Z6i and so far I've had nothing but great service from it. The scope is coming up 2 years old so I admit we're not talking the 5+ years experience you're looking for, but in this time I've had it in all manner of extremes and as you'd expect, it performs flawlessly.

    I don't see environmental factors as being a concern - for a start Swarovski have good products that are well proven... and secondly I believe they will stand behind their warranty in the unlikely event of problems.

    Operation of the illumination is actually very basic. You turn it on either in Night mode or Daylight mode. It doesn't get any simpler. Once you have the brightness set for each of those modes, you're unlikely to change them. I have never needed to adjust my Daylight setting but I do change my night setting sometimes depending on what I'm doing. I find that when I'm spotlighting I need a little more ilumination so I bump it up a couple of clicks but when I'm stalking in moonlight I could do with a little less so button it down. The range is quite large and seems to cover everything I could ever imagine me needing. Additionaly, in case you're not aware, the ilumination turns off if you lay the rifle down or put it over your shoulder. As such I've never had to replace the battery. In the unlikely event I did run the battery flat a spare is held under the windage cap.

    In terms of the extremes, I've used it from sea level to 8000 feet and from those exhausting hot summer days to "this snow is so cold, I can't feel my legs!" This April I tested its waterproofness in Fiordland rain and again in the hills around West Canterbury during sleet. I can tell you the scope is definitely more waterproof than these stupid waterproof gloves I bought.

    Hope that helps.

    Oh, and if you do decide to go that way and then don't like it, let me know as I could do with a cheap Z8i.
    Hey mate, thanks a million for the write-up, appreciate it. Sounds like it's serving you very well.

    I've owned a Z6 before, but the non-illuminated version (1.7-10x42). The glass was great and it tracked well, but I've never had a play with any of the illuminated models, so was a bit unsure.

    Sounds like they're well worth it then. I'll probably spring for the 1-8x24 going off specs alone - I'm not aware of any stores who have the entire range on hand for a play.
    @MSL are you aware that there's a new 2019 model? An 0.75-6x20

    It's 3 or 4 cm shorter than the 1-8, and obviously got much more FOV on the low-end. Lighter too.

    Name:  swarovskiz8.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  236.0 KB

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arrowtown
    Posts
    722
    If you're up this way, call in, you're welcome to have a fondle. It's hard to take the gamble without first seeing one in the flesh.

    I was on their website myself last week and noticed the new addition. A 0.75 x zoom would be handy for close in bunnies but I'm not sure it would be easy to justify the price just to put it on a 10/22.

    Frodo likes this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bell Block NZ/Northern Alberta Canada
    Posts
    783
    I've been looking at the Z8i, for my double rifle, I like to have a play with one, as its a grand more than the Z6i, I have two off, and like them.
    My Z6i 2x12x50 is illimitation gen one, and I've not had any problems, in the ten plus years, I've had it, currently it sits on a Sako Av in 7x64, and gets regular use, Extra weight, of illumination is the only disadvantage I can see.
    planenutz and Frodo like this.

  12. #12
    res
    res is offline
    Member res's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wellywood
    Posts
    3,199
    have had 3 z6i, only have two now(selling one was dumb) and have had no issues in well over 5 years- one scope in particular has had a lot of feild and range use and looks beat to hell and back but is still working like a new one(thanks lens caps.

    I can see a z8i in my future to replace my trijicon 1-8
    Frodo likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    If you're up this way, call in, you're welcome to have a fondle. It's hard to take the gamble without first seeing one in the flesh.

    I was on their website myself last week and noticed the new addition. A 0.75 x zoom would be handy for close in bunnies but I'm not sure it would be easy to justify the price just to put it on a 10/22.

    You'll have to buy an Anschutz .22 then...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    If you're up this way, call in, you're welcome to have a fondle. It's hard to take the gamble without first seeing one in the flesh.

    I was on their website myself last week and noticed the new addition. A 0.75 x zoom would be handy for close in bunnies but I'm not sure it would be easy to justify the price just to put it on a 10/22.

    Look nice on a Volquartson!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    Ha, pull the other one mate
    I own a lot of high end glass. No pulling required.

    My Latest is my S&B 5-25x56 PMII that I custom ordered... only took 12 weeks to get
    Frodo likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Swaro Z3 or Z6
    By 300_BLK in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-12-2018, 08:04 PM
  2. FS: Swaro X5 5-25 x 56
    By Philipo in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-08-2018, 06:50 PM
  3. Swap: Swaro 3-10x42 for Swaro 3-9x36
    By Timmay in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-03-2018, 04:51 PM
  4. WTB: Swaro X5
    By deepsouthaussie in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-07-2016, 11:01 PM
  5. Swaro Z3
    By Rock river arms hunter in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-05-2016, 09:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!