Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: swarovski BT scopes

swarovski BT scopes

Thinking of buying swaro 3.5-18x44. Is the ballistic turret with the 3 different colour rings practical. Does it work . Seems to be alot of people swap it out

I have read a lot of reviews in the last month on this scope and there were a lot of negative reviews about the turret system and also the 25mm tube.
    I have never picked one up in person. Also can be hard work claiming warranty.

I never really liked it. Also, strangely, the small increments are set out in blocks of 5 as opposed to 4 which doesnt match 1/4moa adjustment blocks. That part particularly was a turn off for me. I swapped it for a custom two turn turret just in standard 1/4 MOA and love it.
    chainsaw and Stocky like this.

MSL
    Great scopes. The turret is not ideal for hunting, but you can still count the clicks when dialing. I’ve swapped mine out for an ‘element industries’ moa turret, nice nz made product.
    The one inch tube limits your elevation, 13.25moa, but that’s enough to get a fair way out with most calibres.
    The one inch tube also keeps the weight way down, not many scopes with these features and glass quality that weigh 450gm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSL
    Also any warranty claims, go direct to swaro nz, hassle free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hotsoup likes this.

Huk
    Replaced mine with a single turn custom scope turret down Te Puke way much better to use $150 I think

You need to get the BT model if you want to swap it out anyway. I swapped my BT for a MOA dial.

Great light weight 'scopes. Limited in elevation but enough for me to get out further than I wish to shoot (800 yards). The elevation is the only discernible disadvantage that comes with the 25mm tube.

The "three coloured ring" system works fine if you're using it as a basic short range hunting scope. I have one on a 17hmr but for medium ranges a MOA dial in combination with a range finder & decent ballistic app is far more precise & user friendly.

They are a great light weight scope, limited elevation adjustment as Tahr said but plenty for most sensible hunting situations, I have a couple, ones on my light weight mountain gun & it's a great scope, but beware their light weight comes at a price, they won't handle the NF test & are very long. But I still rate them & the 4W reticle is probably the best hunting cross hairs on the market.
    Oh bless the internet, it gave every fuk tard & idiot a voice

You can remove the zero stop too which stops you being restricted to a single turn. This works well with a two turn moa dial. Love the 4w reticle.
    chainsaw likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by couch potato View Post
    Thinking of buying swaro 3.5-18x44. Is the ballistic turret with the 3 different colour rings practical. Does it work . Seems to be alot of people swap it out
    Yes the turret is very good for a hunting scope, not so good for target work imo. The three rings can be set by Brail whereas the likes of some other turrets need reading glasses.
    Really handy to adjust the turret by feel and not having to look at it while walking up to a pre ranged shooting point. 200 mtr zero, set the rings for 300,400,500 and feel away. There are only 10 or 11 clicks between the hundred metre increments so going five or six clicks from 300 to 350 and it will be only a click out at worst. You can go onto the Swaro ballistic calculator site, select Z5 and the caliber and have a play without buying a scope to see how it will work for you.

Banned
    Yes the turret is very good for a hunting scope, not so good for target work imo. The three rings can be set by Brail whereas the likes of some other turrets need reading glasses.
    Really handy to adjust the turret by feel and not having to look at it while walking up to a pre ranged shooting point. 200 mtr zero, set the rings for 300,400,500 and feel away. There are only 10 or 11 clicks between the hundred metre increments so going five or six clicks from 300 to 350 and it will be only a click out at worst. You can go onto the Swaro ballistic calculator site, select Z5 and the caliber and have a play without buying a scope to see how it will work for you.
    Nathanfish and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

thanks for feed back guys. Thanks Moa Hunter will try swaro site as you mention. I will not be using long range, as you say probably zero at 200 then dial 350, 400, 450 maybe . I was thinking it may be a quicker and simpler system than dialing . i have been involved in a couple of cock ups eg taking to long in getting organised to take shot , , dialing wrong in a hurry etc

@couch potato if you are looking for a simple system have a look at the leupold boone and crokett system, i am happy out to 400 with it

If you are looking for very positive ballistic turrets the the X5I range are excellent. I use the 3.5-18x50 for stalking, can’t fault it.
    bryn

Banned
    thanks for feed back guys. Thanks Moa Hunter will try swaro site as you mention. I will not be using long range, as you say probably zero at 200 then dial 350, 400, 450 maybe . I was thinking it may be a quicker and simpler system than dialing . i have been involved in a couple of cock ups eg taking to long in getting organised to take shot , , dialing wrong in a hurry etc
    I tried those '50 settings but found it was confusing in the field and that 300,400,500 is more straight forward for me, just splitting the difference - if the range is 375 just turn the ring 3/4's of the way to the 400, ring done. Error in rifle hold will make a bigger difference than being a click out anyway. Have you looked at the Z3 3-12x50 BT If you dont need side focus for aging eyes these are a very good scope.