Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Swarovski slc/el bino

I know a dog that started an organic coffee store

Swarovski slc/el bino

Hey guys after some advice from swaro owners/past owners looking at getting some new 10x42 binos once I can get out and physically look and try at stores again.
    I am pretty sold on the slc model after a lot of reading online over the break they have good reviews etc. This will be my last glass purchase for myself in regards to binos so want to get it right. Question is should I be looking at the el model has far as I can tell from research and correct me if I’m wrong the glass is the same in both the slc and el but el has swarovision field flattening lens/coating and different body being the open bridge design.That being said shouldn’t the optics be really close is it worth the extra $1300 to go all in and grab the el haven’t had experience with either and I’m sure viewing in the shop won’t help distinguish them apart optically only apart from fit ergonomic feel.
    Some real world feed back about either model good/bad would be awesome the internet can only steer ya so far cheers 👍🏻
    dannyb likes this.

MSL
    If I was buying new, I’d get the stand alone binos, and a lieca rangefinder in pocket or bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Husky1600 and Hen like this.

If, as you say, these are going to be the LAST pair of binos you're EVER going to buy then go hard and purchase the EL's. They may not be 1300 times better than the SLC's but they're more expensive for a reason. I guarantee you won't ever regret it.

I know a dog that started an organic coffee store
    Yeah after binocular only not the range model

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    If I was buying new, I’d get the stand alone binos, and a lieca rangefinder in pocket or bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The els are standalone binos

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Hey guys after some advice from swaro owners/past owners looking at getting some new 10x42 binos once I can get out and physically look and try at stores again.
    I am pretty sold on the slc model after a lot of reading online over the break they have good reviews etc. This will be my last glass purchase for myself in regards to binos so want to get it right. Question is should I be looking at the el model has far as I can tell from research and correct me if I’m wrong the glass is the same in both the slc and el but el has swarovision field flattening lens/coating and different body being the open bridge design.That being said shouldn’t the optics be really close is it worth the extra $1300 to go all in and grab the el haven’t had experience with either and I’m sure viewing in the shop won’t help distinguish them apart optically only apart from fit ergonomic feel.
    Some real world feed back about either model good/bad would be awesome the internet can only steer ya so far cheers ����
    I agree with MSL. Buy a stand alone pair of Binos. Technology in range finders is lightening fast. You will end up with an out dated pair in no time. I have the 10 x 42 EL’s and believe they are excellent ( I had a pair of 8x30 SLC’s for 30 years before that)
    In saying that if I was to buy a new pair now I would opt for the 10 x 32 EL’s. You don’t compromise the power but you get a smaller package. In my opinion the perfect NZ bino.
    Husky1600, Shearer, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    I agree with MSL. Buy a stand alone pair of Binos. Technology in range finders is lightening fast. You will end up with an out dated pair in no time. I have the 10 x 42 EL’s and believe they are excellent ( I had a pair of 8x30 SLC’s for 30 years before that)
    In saying that if I was to buy a new pair now I would opt for the 10 x 32 EL’s. You don’t compromise the power but you get a smaller package. In my opinion the perfect NZ bino.
    Southcity,, If you had a chance to compare....how obvious was the difference looking through your older slc compared to the newer el?????

T
    Quote Originally Posted by matagouri View Post
    Southcity,, If you had a chance to compare....how obvious was the difference looking through your older slc compared to the newer el?????
    That’s a great question. The SLC’s I had were well cared for and had no lens scratches at all. I thought they were the bees knees. I then went on a Chital Hunt in Queensland with a friend from Wellington. Late evening we were both looking at a group of Chital some 250m away. It got to the point I stopped looking as the light was just not good enough. My mate continued to look. I said to him isn’t it to dark? He said no I can see them easily. So I took his Binos and was astounded at the difference in light gathering.
    So two things I learnt that night. Lens coatings must have improved remarkably over the last 20 or so years and the superior light gathering of the 42mm v’s the 30mm objective was a reality.
    So I went out and bought a pair of EL’s.
    One thing I have found good about Swaro Binos is they are easy to use, come up to the eyes well, and a kind on the eyes.

I used both and to be honest couldn't tell the difference..both excellent binoculars...never get sick of looking through swarovski glass.....

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Latest SLC's give up nothing in optical quality compared to the EL's, only a few grams in weight. Check the specs on the Swaro website.

ELs. I bought a pair of 8.5x42s about 15 years ago and can’t see a reason to ever change them. The new version is even sharper, but is massively more expensive than what I paid. Perhaps look out for a used pair of older ELs?

Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    This.
    Iv also had 8x30 slc for many years but Im on my third range finder.
    @Southcity interesting you note the extra light gathering of the 42 but would opt for the 10x30s now. Im looking at going to the 10x with aging eyes, I like the compact 30mm but thought the 42 would be the better option give the lager exit pupil.
    Husky1600 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    This.
    @Southcity interesting you note the extra light gathering of the 42 but would opt for the 10x30s now. Im looking at going to the 10x with aging eyes, I like the compact 30mm but thought the 42 would be the better option give the lager exit pupil.
    One evening @Southcity and I were sitting in the Southern Alps glassing for Chamois. He was using his 10x42mm ELs and I had my 10x32mm ELs and we both came to the conclusion that my binos lost about 5 minutes worth of viewing time compared to his. If Southcity had seen an animal in those last 5 minutes the question would then be could it be seen through a rifle scope?
    moosemeat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    One evening @Southcity and I were sitting in the Southern Alps glassing for Chamois. He was using his 10x42mm ELs and I had my 10x32mm ELs and we both came to the conclusion that my binos lost about 5 minutes worth of viewing time compared to his. If Southcity had seen an animal in those last 5 minutes the question would then be could it be seen through a rifle scope?
    And if it was that dark would you have still shot it knowing you would then have to re cover it in the dark....depends where you are I guess

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    This.
    @sneeze it really depends what sort of hunting you do. I chase deer on places where some extra weight and carry size is not an issue. But hauling around Chamios country I think the 10 x 32 EL’s are just that much more compact. Still got the 10 power. Bear in mind they are 10x32 rather than the 30mm you currently have.
    All theses EL’s are great and we are talking small differences.
    sneeze and Tech like this.