Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swarovski z5

Swarovski z5

Looking at a Swarovski z5 for my 7mm rem mag and was interested to know what the verdict is on these scopes and who has used these for mid range hunting out to 500 or 600 yds. The rings on the turret are set for predetermined distances as chosen when setting up. What happens if the distance is half way between the set distance? Is this system limited compared to ordinary dial up and drop charts?

I have this scope for my 208Ai ( 500 - 600m Shots )

I think its just about perfect for this. With great Glass.

With the turrets i am getting 2 replacements in MOA so i can use it the same as a normal target turret.

I think the stock system is a marketing gimmick

Its a very nice scope for what its designed for which IMO is a hunting scope that you will dial occasioanly.Iv been using mine to 600 with no problems with the standard balistic turret,I had intened to replace the cap but Im holding off for a bit yet. Iv used balistic reticles for years so I dont have a problem with set distances and you can dial between them easily enough with a drop chart , you can mark it in moa with a marker if you want to. Not as clean as a straight moa dial or a custom bullet drop but it's not to bad when you are used to it and in some situations it can be easier.Saying that Ill most likely get a custom cap at some stage. The adjustments are soft but repeatable and very useable.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Doesnt sound like it is quite what i am after so maybe i will keep looking. The three rings seem like they will limit you to predetermined distance which doesnt seem ideal. What else do you guys think i should put on the 7mm rem mag?

Yogi I think you are looking at it with a little tunnel vision. The three rings dont limit where you can dial too they just highlight 3 reference points for 3 diferent ranges ranges. shooting any distance between these predetermind ranges is very simple. The turret works in moa like most scopes and a custom moa dial for less than NZ $100.00 will make it function like any other scope. There are however plenty of other options depending on your budget.

Ok thanks for the info. So there is flexibility to dial to different distances but limited to mid range shooting out to 500 or 600 metres, which is probably a realistic maximum that i plan to shoot to. Would you rate this system over a ballistic reticle scope such as a zeiss rapid z800?

Yes better than a balistic reticle but thats just my opinion .Yes you can dial any distance you like but it only has 3 reference points which you can set to suit any particular distance you choose the, intermediate distance you need to work out ,its harder to explain than it is ti do. The Z5 isn't limited to any particular distance but it only has one rotaion as it comes from the factory giving about 13 moa of elevation, in my case with a 150yd zero I can dila enough to reach 725yds aprox.The scopes limitations will be detemind by the trajectory of your load and the zero you choose. ,

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Yes better than a balistic reticle but thats just my opinion .Yes you can dial any distance you like but it only has 3 reference points which you can set to suit any particular distance you choose the, intermediate distance you need to work out ,its harder to explain than it is ti do. The Z5 isn't limited to any particular distance but it only has one rotaion as it comes from the factory giving about 13 moa of elevation, in my case with a 150yd zero I can dila enough to reach 725yds aprox.The scopes limitations will be detemind by the trajectory of your load and the zero you choose. ,
    So would recommend the z5 as being the best option for the 7mm rem mag or do you think another option maybe better? Exuse my ignorance but i have never used dial up or ballistic reticle scopes so am on quite a learning curve here and are grateful for the opinions of guys like yourself that have plenty of knowledge.

I think the Z5 is fine for a 7mm but going by this thread the balistic turret may not be for you at this stage unless you change it to a standard moa cap. You may be better with a vx3 cds or sightron, bushnell 6500 among others.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    NZ Hunter did a pretty good write up on the Z5. Issues 16 and 17. It worked for them out to 1125y (7mmSRUM)and was still 1 revolution for 700y. No drama.

HB.
    Hey mate. I could look at selling you a Nightforce 3.5-15X50 (no zero stop) if you interested.

Yes i would be interested depending on what price we are talking about. Pm sent