Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By TLB

Thread: Sytong ht-66 or 77

Sytong ht-66 or 77

So what's everyone's thoughts on these looking at something to control goats hares and possums

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Sorry, but a rifle would be better.
    In do serious mode however either will work for night shooting coupled with a 223 as the illuminator range pretty much matches pount n shoot. However they need a scope with parallax ajustment or things end up blurry and severly alerter eye relief which can be recovered with a slip on recoil pad, but that impacts on handling somewhat.
    The ability to use a proper scope during the day is a bonus, strapping the nv on at night. However although i have one i find a thermal scanner and spotlight work at least as well possibly better.
    The scanner though is spend your.

TLB
    I have had a dedicated NV scope, the ht 66 and the ht 660 as well as thermal gear and also used the ht 77.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with ht 66 again as having the ability to easily mount an external IR is extremely handy.
    If you don't have a handheld thermal that can rangefind then the 77 is the way to go. Image is also far superior to the 66.
    I use my clip on multiple nights per week professionally and would reach for that before the thermal scope 9 times out of 10.

As mentioned above the scope has to have side parallax. A base mag of 2x or 3x is handy too for quicker target acquisition.

If you don't have a handheld thermal yet I personally bother with the night vision.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Sorry, but a rifle would be better.
    In do serious mode however either will work for night shooting coupled with a 223 as the illuminator range pretty much matches pount n shoot. However they need a scope with parallax ajustment or things end up blurry and severly alerter eye relief which can be recovered with a slip on recoil pad, but that impacts on handling somewhat.
    The ability to use a proper scope during the day is a bonus, strapping the nv on at night. However although i have one i find a thermal scanner and spotlight work at least as well possibly better.
    The scanner though is spend your.
    Yup 2ns this - DO have a scope with parallax - Im finding out the hard way, even though i was assured 'you'd be ok' with non parallax. Live and learn, so spreading the knowledge before others fall into the trap.
    I do like the HT-77 - I went that way over the 66 for use on .22 subsonic, so range knowledge was a must. Having said that I bought extra scope mounts to afix onto the .223 as well.

Once Ive sourced a suitable scope for .22 - looking forward to using this alot!
    Now for a thermal spotter...