Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

T3- Wasted in a short action?

Looking at a T3 as I want a stainless, lightweight rifle for out to 500yrds. Therefore, calibre is hardly important as all will more or less do the job. eg. 7mm08, 308, 30-06 etc

Wanted to stay away from the big magnums as I'm not a real fan of getting the shit booted out of me!

Is it a waste getting a T3 in a short action? When it is a long action anyway... I.e. is there any point in getting a 7mm08 when a 6.5x55 is in the identical action and possibly offers a bit more should I want to really stretch the legs. Similarly, if one was to rebarrel there is no messing about with the bolt stop and buying a new mag!

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Is it a waste getting a T3 in a short action? When it is a long action anyway... I.e. is there any point in getting a 7mm08 when a 6.5x55 is in the identical action and possibly offers a bit more should I want to really stretch the legs. Similarly, if one was to rebarrel there is no messing about with the bolt stop and buying a new mag!
    Sounds sensible to me. Especially since (as you pointed out) in T3's the action length is the same, so the old argument about action stiffness isn't on the table.

More asking to get some opinions out of interest. Will just buy whatever comes up second hand. After something stainless/synthetic which can take a hiding. Lets be realistic, 500yrds the plan and 80% of deer will still be shot under 150yrds

If I was to go back 2 years and buy my tikka again, I would've got a swede instead of .308. To get equivalent performance out of the .308, I've had to make it a long action, and seat 190 grainers right out. Just a bit more stuffing round to get what you could get from the box with a 6.5 that you reload for

Was contemplating the same situation as you at the beginning of the year. A well priced Remington Stainless Synthetic came along in 708, so it won. Had it been a well priced tikka T3 in 6.5x55, then it would of been my new gun instead. I agree that a short action round in a T3 seems a waste, hence my choice of a short action rifle for the 708. In real world terms it probably makes no practical difference but it just seems wrong to me to "waste" action length, and the way I look at it thats really all it comes down to.

Also, if you are fixed on the T3 but don't reload your own (reducing your ammunition options in the 6.5x55 ), you could consider the 270.
    Last edited by chux75; 19-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chux75 View Post
    Was contemplating the same situation as you at the beginning of the year. A well priced Remington Stainless Synthetic came along in 708, so it won. Had it been a well priced tikka T3 in 6.5x55, then it would of been my new gun instead. I agree that a short action round in a T3 seems a waste, hence my choice of a short action rifle for the 708. In real world terms it probably makes no practical difference but it just seems wrong to me to "waste" action length, and the way I look at it thats really all it comes down to.

Also, if you are fixed on the T3 but don't reload your own (reducing your ammunition options in the 6.5x55 ), you could consider the 270.
    Im a bit like you. I will buy what tickles my fancy when it comes up second hand. Not really set on anything tbh as long as it meets my requirements of stainless, accurate, synthetic and a non obscure calibre

before owning a tikka i would have said yea it is, now that I have one even tho its a LA version they are that light that it dusnt matter.
    they seem to shoot well too