Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Shamus
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: Taking a punt on a rifle - Savage Lightweight in 6.5 CM

Taking a punt on a rifle - Savage Lightweight in 6.5 CM

Gidday Guys - Bit of a story (or skite depending on your perspective I guess)

So I was looking for a rifle to use for a build into a lightweight style chassis like the MDT-LSS.

I got an "like new" Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5x55 first, it shot well with groups achieved of around 18-22 mm, with the best groups at very modest velocities i.e.starting loads. It was a nice smooth rifle with a nice trigger but to me the balance was horrible, too muzzle heavy to carry nicely. Lots of people like muzzle heavy for offhand shooting but I couldn't see myself doing much offhand with a chassis stock. The Tikka has very nice manners and was a pleasure to shoot in all the positions I tried.

Next cab off the rank was a Remington Model 7, a stainless model I got "like new" but without a bolt, it had obviously been carried a bit but did indeed look very good internally - the new (blued) bolt arrived with an exorbitant price tag after 9 months - I should have cheated and got a PTG one. The trigger was a little heavier than the Tikka but still pretty good. I worked up only one load for it, a very "brisk" 150 gn jobbie at 2670 fps which isn't too bad from an 18' barrel. It shot that into just a tad over an inch, 26mm being the best group. I like the Remington's balance but it isn't as smooth as the Tikka, and mine has a funny mag spring that can cause the odd wee problem - It would probably be easily fixed. Muzzle blast without a can is pretty robust, and it is has a firm kick, not all that pleasant to shoot from the bench.

Some time ago I aquired a set of 6.5 Hornady Creedmoor dies in a trade. After a bit I sold them onto a forum member. Not long after that I was a bit surprised to see him offering them along with a rifle - a Savage Lightweight in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd had a Savage 243 many years ago and moved it on fairly quickly as I felt the stock was clubby and the action kinda stiff. After a bit of research I found that the Savage 6.5 CM being sold may have had a bit of a "stringing issue" but it was reasonably priced and I felt like a challenge. - On its arrival I found that it had a small bump in the bedding under the barrel nut, but probably a bigger issue was that the sear extension that reaches down for the bolt release button to pick up was touching the stock, probably giving it a wee nudge each time it was fired. All quickly and easily fixed and this particular rifle was pretty smooth - for a Savage. Bolt lift is noticeably heavier that the Tikka (but not bad in comparison with the Remmy) and it cycles and feeds well enough. The Lightweight has beautiful balance, all my Christmas visitors got to heft each rifle and all preferred the balance of the Savage. It's not an easy rifle to shoot, nominally 5.5 lbs, mine weights 7 lbs 3 oz (3.27 kgs) with a Weaver 2-10x42 SuperSlam up.

First load development was at at 100 metres in pretty trying conditions (gusty wind - horrible), groups ranged from 3 into 14.5mm to 6 into 36mm, with several 3 shot groups of around the 18mm mark Its one of the few rifles I've come across that "like" quite "hot" loads, its pretty snorty with a 140 at 2800 fps from a 20" barrel, but as I worked up it put the hottest 5 of them into 23mm, one ragged hole!! Its quite difficult to shoot from the bench, it didn't seem to like a "left hand rear on the stock toe" hold. However it was very pleasant to shoot, it has a de-accelerator pad as standard, and muzzle blast was quite tolerable. The trigger was OK, but not in the class of the Tikka.

I worked the trigger over and refined the load a little and retested in better conditions, again at 100 metres. The load was a Sierra 140 gn SPBT with VV N-550 and Federal 210 primer in Hornady cases. Velicity was 2800 average with one crony, and 2784 average with another - not bat from a 20" barrel. I had to give up after two groups with it, the results were astounding - that skinny little tube put 3 into 21 mm and then 5 minutes later 3 into 8 mm, and that with no cooling between shots, as soon as I could reload and get a good hold I let them go. I think you could say that is very good hunting accuracy from an inexpensive rifle.

I think the Savage will get the chassis stock. The Mausers in the cabinet will sneer at it but they can get used to it, it shoots better than most of them !! Anyone want a Tikka 6.5x55 or a Remmy Model 7 308 ??? Both in nice condition !

PS - I was a bit concerned at the possible pressure required to generate 2800 fps from that little 6.5 CM case, hence I retested using another chrony, I thought the first one might have been optimistic - however it wasn't and Quickload says that I'm probably running at a tad over 65,000 psi, so my brass probably won't last long !!
    Last edited by Tentman; 03-01-2015 at 07:53 PM.

What is the advantage with the chassis ? Aren't you just going to make a light rifle heavier?
    Cartman likes this.

Yeah Shamus - You're right, there is that, but I could gain a folding stock . . . how cool would that be for Tahr hunting, where you practically never have to shoot quickly, so why not keep your rifle folded in your pack (with nothing sticking out to catch in the monkey scrub, unlike a pack scabbard) ??
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

how much for the 308?

$750 plus postage (although if you're in Dunners I'm sure we can get it up to you). Bear in mind that its a stainless synthetic version, with a black bolt (bued really, its just very black in colour) and I do have a stainless bolt guts you could have. The rings are redfield type turn in style, blued, 1", they took a 42 mm scope with a smallish eyepiece ok, I probably have higher ones if you have a bigger scope. If you want I'll email you some pics

OOps - seems the second lot of groups were shot at 100 yards, not 100 metres (due to a kind neighbour I was using a different range the second time)

Cheers
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

I knew that one would come up good..

It's good that it is shooting well for you
    I cleaned up a few pressure point in the barrel channel but never had time to play around with the rest of it.
    Have fun.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    The trigger was OK, but not in the class of the Tikka.
    Surprised at that, had the Tikka trigger been modified? The Tikka triggers I've used were just heavy and vague compared to the various Savages I've owned (or my tweaked Ruger trigger).

Glad to hear its shooting well for you anyway