Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By 55six
  • 5 Post By zeropak
  • 2 Post By Night_Into_Day

Thread: Tale of two torches

Tale of two torches

What happened to this thread, started by Phil_H. He contributed a lot of comments regarding green and red-light torches. Just went looking for it as considering a new torch but can't find the thread.WTF? a lot of good info. missing.

it got binned along with the author and a couple of other folks....do catch up bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    it got binned along with the author and a couple of other folks....do catch up bud.
    Guess I've caught up now, I don't live on the forum. Why was it binned?

now THAT my good man,is the thousand $$$$ question.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

It was an excellent thread, I wish I had saved the information contained in it.

Did @phil H get purged..? Surely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil mentioned big blues Stevie and it was all over rover. It’s a pity as some of his threads had a large following
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Whats big blues?

gunshitty

oh no slander?!

pffft,, them guys.

Well that explains why we haven't had an update on his thermal. I was enjoying that one. Shame he had to go.

Its a pity that so much good info got binned when this thread got binned.
    Anyway. I have been waiting a long time to get down to my hunting block and give the new Convoy L21B red torch a try out. Up until then I have used a Maxtoch white beam, great torch with excellent range but did tend to spook the animals, and the Convoy C8 red beam torch, the C8 was my first shot at using a red beam, it is a great little torch but was lacking clarity at some of the longer ranges (150m plus) I shoot. Then along came the L21B, all I can say is that the performance of this torch is stunning. It does tend to cause a bit of alarm to animals that are closer, say 75m and less. But I only use the torch to shoot and not to locate so the shot tends to be away within about 5 seconds of the animal being illuminated. Forgot to mention the target is Fallow deer in fairly open country. I did however manage to get onto a pretty good Boar, around 100kg gutted, I head shot this at approx 175m. I had a good rest over a log and the L21B gave brilliant resolution at this range, the Boar just stood there side on with only the head showing from behind some scrub, so the head shot was due to necessity not choice. Although the closer animals did react to being light up, I shot 2 deer at around 50m, they just lifted their heads but did not bolt. I think I would be comfortable taking a shot out to about 300 maybe 350m with this torch. I know my range estimates seem to be a little conservative compared to some that I have seen but this is probably personal in that these are ranges that I can good good definition of the animal and its surrounds. I could locate animals at greater distances because the eye shine from a red beam is far more obvious that in a white beam. At one stage during the night I light up some rabbit eyes at around 500m. So hope this helps anyone contemplating using a red beam torch.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Yes, that thread had a lot of good info that I often pointed people to read over when they questioned which colour was best. Fairly annoying that all threads are deleted once a member is banned.

I just wanted to add that I've recently upgraded the Red torches to more brightness levels, previously it was a low that was too dim and a high level. Now you can set it at High only, 3 modes, or 4 modes that are well spaced.
    matagouri and ZQLewis like this.