Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By 308mate
  • 1 Post By rossm-96
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By 308mate
  • 2 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By 38 South

Thread: Talley 30mm Rings Torque specs Tikka

Talley 30mm Rings Torque specs Tikka

Hey guys just mounting this VX5HD with these 30mm Talley rings onto a Tikka.

Anyone know what the torque specs are for the base screws? It says check with your manufacturer.

Are the ring screws 17- 20 in/lb? I think that's what Talley is saying if I'm reading their FAQ right.

Cheers

Name:  20200605_090135.jpg
Views: 5047
Size:  5.51 MB
    superdiver likes this.

I read somewhere 15-20 for the rings, 20-25 for the bases. Its what i have used without any problems. When tightening the ring screws with a torque wrench, i end up applying less force than i used to when doing them “blind”, which suggests many people over-tighten them. Talley screws are quite easy to strip, doesn’t happen any more with the torque wrench.
    308mate likes this.

Guidelines: 6-48 receiver screws: 15-17 inch-lbs, 8-40 receiver screws 18-20 inch-lbs
    from the Talleys website FAQ's
    I checked with Gunworks last time and they were happy to advise.
    bed them with 2 part epoxy and use blue thread locker on the threads.
    308mate likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Guidelines: 6-48 receiver screws: 15-17 inch-lbs, 8-40 receiver screws 18-20 inch-lbs
    from the Talleys website FAQ's
    I checked with Gunworks last time and they were happy to advise.
    bed them with 2 part epoxy and use blue thread locker on the threads.
    Bed the rings with expoxy? They are lapped I thought you just put the scope in them, level it and screw them down to the correct torque alternating screws diagonally in a consistent manner? Do I need to put something on the rings before I do?

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    Bed the rings with expoxy? They are lapped I thought you just put the scope in them, level it and screw them down to the correct torque alternating screws diagonally in a consistent manner? Do I need to put something on the rings before I do?
    between the base and receiver
    308mate likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    between the base and receiver
    Gotcha cheers.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    Effective you are gluing the rings too your rifle, it helps ensure a strong bond but is not something you have to do.
    I've used theses Talleys for years without epoxy or loctite.

If you end up using loctite make sure you use Blue or Purple, as these are low strength and readily removable without heat.
    dannyb and 308mate like this.

they must be hard to get wrong, I use them on all my non optilock rifles and I dont bother with locktight or epoxy
    they hold great

Use araldite clear. If you need to remove them at any stage a wee bit of heat gun on low or boiling water is enough to break the bond and it cleans off easily.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Pretty sure my exact same setup has the bases torqued to 25pound with loctitie on the screws and the rings at 20pound

Not wishing to start a war here but using epoxy adhesives and the likes between scope rings and bases is at least questionable and in defiance of the engineering design of both the rifle and the mounts, whilst it may add some additional strength it is difficult to reliably ascertain due to unknown bond integrity and likely unknown shear strength of the bonding material itself. This practice arose in times when scopes were something that you might fit to your rifle, many mounting systems were poorly engineered and supplied with fasteners that were not up to scratch, it was a MacGyver type approach to remedy a problem that is quite uncommon today with modern firearms and mounts and if encountered is best resolved by placing the offending items in the trash, go and buy something decent. Currently I have a 7mm WSM and two .243 rifles fitted with VX6 scopes mounted in Talley rings, the fasteners have blue loctite applied to their threads and are torqued to spec, they get fired a lot and don't move. A positive consideration with hunting rifles today is that the fitting of suppressors reduces recoil and it's subsequent effect on the load applied to scopes and their mounting systems during firing.
    stagstalker likes this.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...