Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Thermal handhelds - how far can you really spot an animal?

Thermal handhelds - how far can you really spot an animal?

For any thermal users out there, how far away can you really see an animal?

Could you advise of what model you are using, and how far away can you tell its a deer and not a warm rock?

Building up the coin towards buying a handheld.
    The idea is to be able to know if I'm going to elminating sitting and watching a bit of barren hillside with the binos, or there are animals way over there on the next valley and its worth tramping round to use the binos.
    And I shoot a place in Southland that has thick bush hiding four-legged pests, so need to know if they are there or not when we glass to last light.

Thanks

I am probably the least experieneced thermal user here, having only used one twice. But I can say the 3-4 year old pulsar a good bloke on the forum lent me allowed me to easily identify cattle at about 3km in the dark and I could distinguish rocks and deer easily, while a mates brand new Guide made it difficult to see any detail on red deer at more than about 600m. The difference in quality between them was impressive.

The new lieca handheld is even better than the top of the range pulsar as it isn't as flarey

Even a bottom of the range one I can make out deer at 200easy enough and tell between possum and kiwi at 100

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    What model Pulsar Ben?

Cheers
    Phil
    Pulsar Quantum XD38s.
    Phil_H likes this.

Depends on how far you can push your bank balance
    Like ALL Optics
    More you pay - more you get

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    For any thermal users out there, how far away can you really see an animal?

Could you advise of what model you are using, and how far away can you tell its a deer and not a warm rock?

Building up the coin towards buying a handheld.
    The idea is to be able to know if I'm going to elminating sitting and watching a bit of barren hillside with the binos, or there are animals way over there on the next valley and its worth tramping round to use the binos.
    And I shoot a place in Southland that has thick bush hiding four-legged pests, so need to know if they are there or not when we glass to last light.

Thanks
    I use a relatively inexpensive thermal. A HIK Micro Lynx Pro 25mm Lens. It will locate animals over a Kilometer away easy. However the further away the animal the harder its to identify. Experience eventually helps you figure out what the signal is likely to be. For example there is no mistaking cattle they show up as a bloody great hot blob. I reckon that inside of about 600m I could tell you whether the signal was a deer or a sheep, or a hot rock. Some of this has to do with how the animal moves and the general shape of the signal, for example deer have longer necks and legs. Where I hunt there are quite a number of sheep and cattle present and these days I don't get fooled by a false signal too often. The other biggie which you have touched on is false signals from rocks etc, This can be difficult in summer months particularly at and just after sunset. Tree stumps, bare patches of ground and even Toitoi bushes will put off a real glow. You can't do anything about this except wait a while until things cool down. In these situations there can end up being so many false signals it is hard to find deer, the only tell tale is that Rocks and stump don't tend to walk around . Even in daylight if the area you are scanning has not been warmed up too much by sunlight the thermal is way ahead of the Bino's. I only grab them out if there are too many false signals. Its an interesting learning curve but without doubt the thermal is a very efficient way to find game, I doubt you would be disappointing.
    BSA270 and kukuwai like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

2 - 3000m is achievable now
    Identification = 1200m (is it a Deer or Cattle beast etc)
    Positive identification = 800 (is it a Hind or Stag or yearling etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Depends on how far you can push your bank balance
    Like ALL Optics
    More you pay - more you get
    Yeah well not necessarily. conotech.co.nz have a range of thermals that beat many of the others on specs for price. The Polaris and Tracer range use an HIK processor with a Netd of <35MK. 35mm and 50mm F1.1 objectives ensure a decent thermal range. I imagine other thermal importers will start to drop their prices with competition.

Name:  thermal specs.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  164.0 KB
    Last edited by 55six; 01-10-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    I am probably the least experieneced thermal user here, having only used one twice. But I can say the 3-4 year old pulsar a good bloke on the forum lent me allowed me to easily identify cattle at about 3km in the dark and I could distinguish rocks and deer easily, while a mates brand new Guide made it difficult to see any detail on red deer at more than about 600m. The difference in quality between them was impressive.
    Guide / Burris don't disclose their Netd figure which is always a sign that its not the flash. The worst in the industry is the Dali's. Netd is essentially the ability to resolve differences in heat. The lower the figure the better.

MB
    Even with my relatively budget model, I can see a heat source as far as anyone would want to shoot at night.
    Animal vs warm rock. Rocks don't tend to move
    BSA270 and 55six like this.

XP 50 and plenty of experience over 4 years

3km in ideal conditions
    2km relatively often
    1km even in sub optimal conditions
    1km in good condition and you can tell the deer species and sex
    Fallow have a different edge texture to reds
    Stags show a different body profile
    Velvet stags look like neon
    Hard stags you can count the points in good conditions at 300 to 500m

BUT it takes a while to master them and if you only hunt a few times a year you will miss a lot of them
    Once you get your eye in they are a very good tool

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Yeah well not necessarily. conotech.co.nz have a range of thermals that beat many of the others on specs for price. The Polaris and Tracer range use an HIK processor with a Netd of <35MK. 35mm and 50mm F1.1 objectives ensure a decent thermal range. I imagine other thermal importers will start to drop their prices with competition.

Attachment 180245
    12μm 40mK iRay (infiRay) betters all above
    By far the best Bang 4 Buck

Which you appeared to miss out in your promo

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    12μm 40mK iRay (infiRay) betters all above
    By far the best Bang 4 Buck
    Ok So pixel pitch enables smaller lense size. It doesnt have too much to do with ability to resolve. Germanium objective lense being the most expensive part of a thermal, manufacturers are heading that way but cost is still a factor. And a Netd sub 40mk is pretty meh.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Ok So pixel pitch enables smaller lense size. It doesnt have too much to do with ability to resolve. Germanium objective lense being the most expensive part of a thermal, manufacturers are heading that way but cost is still a factor. And a Netd sub 40mk is pretty meh.
    Have you tried 12μm in 50mm ??
    Diff between 35 and 40 is negligible

PS
    What does "meh" mean