Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Are these electronic ear muffs ok? $45 in GC sale

Are these electronic ear muffs ok? $45 in GC sale

https://www.guncity.com/barricade-el...s-21-db-343669
    Just starting out. Do I get these or are they crap & simple foam plugs would be better?
    Last edited by uk_exile; 03-03-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

[QUOTE=uk_exile;798862]https://www.guncity.com/barricade-el...s-21-db-343669
    Just starting out. Do I get these or are they crap & simple foam plugs would be better?[/

Better off ordering Howardleights IMO.

https://outdoorshop.nz/products/howa...xoCk5cQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With either I would wear foam plugs underneath if there's a lot of shooting going on, or if shooting from under cover. You can still hear conversation through the plugs when there's no shooting. These are both Class 4 vs 5.
    Hunter_killer and Cordite like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Or go full balls on Peltors. Save all the micro transactions in between lol. But they pack a pretty hefty tag.

shooternz and xtightg like this.

buy peltors, your hearing is worth it

[QUOTE=Hunter_killer;798866]
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    https://www.guncity.com/barricade-el...s-21-db-343669
    Just starting out. Do I get these or are they crap & simple foam plugs would be better?[/

Better off ordering Howardleights IMO.

https://outdoorshop.nz/products/howa...xoCk5cQAvD_BwE

First pair I bought a few years ago were same as the ones mentioned on sale from GC. Did the job but budget quality and carked it last year. Now have a pair of these howard leights and they great value for money. Much nicer to use.

Peltors off Amazon, not dear at all.
    xtightg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    buy peltors, your hearing is worth it
    This...........................
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Buy Peltors, I find those Howard’s don’t fit very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    With either I would wear foam plugs underneath if there's a lot of shooting going on, or if shooting from under cover. You can still hear conversation through the plugs when there's no shooting. These are both Class 4 vs 5.
    Yes, definitely wear ear plugs inside. I use Howard Leights and as Tommy says you can hear fine wearing plugs underneath thanks to the electronic amplification.

The ear plugs especially save the day when you wear safety glasses which make a good ear muff seal difficult to get. It only takes one or two shots for you go go home with tinnitus, cumulative hearing damage.

I believe the Howard Leights don't seal as well as Peltors, reason I went with the HLs as they are flatter, supposed less interference with cheek weld. Either way, wear plugs under them.
    Last edited by Cordite; 03-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Sadly I feel I am about to make a large donation to the nice people who provide hearing aids, I suffer tinitus and years of workplace noise are now causing me issues.
    Even though I have always worn highest grade of earlugs (I believe 33db) I think they are not 100% effective when you are working 8-10 hours at a stretch in noisy places.
    Even now I stare in wonder at the number of painters chipping paint of ships hulls using needle rattle guns and no earing protection at all!!

Buy the best protection you can even it its expensive, tinitus is not nice and having to ask your better 1/2 to constantly repeat herself causes issues or worse when you don't hear her at all because she is not directly facing you!!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Buy Peltors, I find those Howard’s don’t fit very well.
    Only reason I stuck with the HLs was they allow you to get right on the stock due to slim shape. When I do the pistol thing I use some much bulkier Peltors
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Sadly I feel I am about to make a large donation to the nice people who provide hearing aids, I suffer tinitus and years of workplace noise are now causing me issues.
    Even though I have always worn highest grade of earlugs (I believe 33db) I think they are not 100% effective when you are working 8-10 hours at a stretch in noisy places.
    Even now I stare in wonder at the number of painters chipping paint of ships hulls using needle rattle guns and no earing protection at all!!

Buy the best protection you can even it its expensive, tinitus is not nice and having to ask your better 1/2 to constantly repeat herself causes issues or worse when you don't hear her at all because she is not directly facing you!!!
    I hear ya

P
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I hear ya
    Ya just stole my line. Workshop, day after day on an open tractor, chainsaws........shooting. Yip, it's taken its toll, constant ringing
    mikee and Steve123 like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Thanks all. No GC 50% off muffs then!
    Which version peltor? Seems to be many types and huge price
    differences
    https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Sport-.../dp/B07NJ3HSX7

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Hearin.../dp/B073M566W7