Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Bergara B14 rimfire

Lightbulb Thoughts on Bergara B14 rimfire

I saw 55six has the barrelled action available for $1400. What's your thoughts on this remington footprint .22LR action? Especially comparing to other similar actions like Vudoo.

I assume the typical application would be the PRS styled .22 rimfire match.

When I last looked Reloaders had one all complete and ready to go. 2k IIRC.

Yanks are raving about them particularly as a cheaper alternative to Vudoo V22s. Have a squizz on the RimfireCentral forum.

Mate in Oz has just ordered one there. They have only recently become avaolablenthere. He is a high quality 22 nut with Annies, Coopers, Lithgows, a few Weihrauch so he definitely sees potential in the Bergara.
    eamars likes this.

I think "zimmer" may be referring to me!

I've just collected this B14R from my dealer (Arrived the same day as an Anschutz 1761/Trueflite build I had done in Tasmania).

I pulled the Bergara down - Inspected, cleaned & lubed everything and would have to agree with the US based owners of these rifles. The barrelled actions are well designed and finished and I can find nothing to complain about with the stock either.

I set it up for my little wife with a 3-9 EFR Leupold. She fired 75 assorted SK rounds to give it a function test and everything ran perfectly - Magazine feed, extraction, ejection, trigger (heavy by our standards but very crisp) and action smoothness all fine.

I've now mounted a Weaver GS 6-20 for her and am pretty keen to get it out with some proven lot numbers of ammo on a good day - I don't expect this to run with most of the rim fires I have here while in stock form but am confident it will be a decent shooter. At A$1,850.00, I can see value in the B14R and the sky's the limit with the 700 foot print if you want to modify these guns.

zimmer, Steelisreal and Finnwolf like this.

Welcome to the forum @HJA8

I had one in my hand on Monday, that we bolted into our chassis. Very nice action. The mag fits in the place of an Ai type mag very well.
    I just wish they had moved the firing pin at 6 o'clock instead of the traditional 12 o'clock position on the bolt face.( supposed to improve ignition). That particular one had a tensioned barrel with a carbon fibre shroud.

I've been weighing up one of these versus owning a T1x. Very interested to hear more - will have to check out Rimfire Central.

Here ya go, disappear down this rabbit hole
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...rchid=47696953
    Rush likes this.

Haven’t shot the barreled action yet but can confirm the build quality is very nice.

The reason we imported barreled actions only was that most customers for these will be building a training or competition replica of their rem 700 footprint build. We give them the minimum so that they can buy the stock and trigger to suit. No wasted parts.
    eamars likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Haven’t shot the barreled action yet but can confirm the build quality is very nice.

The reason we imported barreled actions only was that most customers for these will be building a training or competition replica of their rem 700 footprint build. We give them the minimum so that they can buy the stock and trigger to suit. No wasted parts.
    Hey mate, May I ask what is the muzzle thread you got on the barrled action you imported?

Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    Hey mate, May I ask what is the muzzle thread you got on the barrled action you imported?
    I'd guess 1/2-28 as per Bergara's specs:

https://www.bergara.online/en/rifles...r-steel-rifle/

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I just wish they had moved the firing pin at 6 o'clock instead of the traditional 12 o'clock position on the bolt face.( supposed to improve ignition).
    Probably no biggie - Vudoo run a 12.00 o'clock pin on the V22R & a 6.00 o'clock pin on the V22S which is targeted more towards the BR crowd. The B14R uses a two piece firing pin/striker set up with a rounded nose on the FP - I understand there were a few light strike issues with the early guns but the striker spring has been up-graded now. The B14R can also be head spaced with shims on the bolt and there is already a kit available for that purpose.

https://triggershims.com/Bergara_Rimfire.php

eamars likes this.

These B14R stocks are very solid with plenty of adjustment are a pretty good match for the heavy barrelled action:
    Here is the target showing the first 75 shots from this rifle - These were an assortment of loose SK ammo I had laying around & never meant to be an accuracy test - Outdoor range, 50 meters, 9X scope, variable wind & no flags. The circles are 16MM OD.

Quote Originally Posted by HJA8 View Post
    These B14R stocks are very solid with plenty of adjustment are a pretty good match for the heavy barrelled action:
    Here is the target showing the first 75 shots from this rifle - These were an assortment of loose SK ammo I had laying around & never meant to be an accuracy test - Outdoor range, 50 meters, 9X scope, variable wind & no flags. The circles are 16MM OD.

Very informative. Thank you sir!

Nothing wrong with the factory B14R trigger but I wanted something a little more precise for range work. I fitted a Jewell HVR this morning - Zero issues - Passed all safety checks and breaking consistently at 12 ozs with the "A" spring.
    Dropped barrelled action back in stock - Re-check safety procedures and the FP drops each time the safety lever moves from SAFE to FIRE
    I thought this would be tight when I eyeballed everything when the Jewell arrived in the post.
    The safety lever was binding ever so slightly on the stock inlet when in SAFE mode and wouldn't fully engage. A few strokes with a round file & all good.
    I'll live fire this in the next few days but am confident the Jewell will be safe & reliable.
    If any issues arise, I'll re-adjust where necessary.
    I couldn't find any on line info on where any B14R owners had specifically fitted a Jewell - Excellent up-grade from my perspective.
    Thanks,
    Allan.

ebf likes this.

I fitted a Jewell to my HMR centrefire. Breaks well under 12oz..