Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Thoughts on top options for "value" centrefire?

Thoughts on top options for "value" centrefire?

Hi

There seems to be a price-point break at around $1,000 for so-called value rifles

I'm interested in what people think are the top three options to take a look at, and why

I've had a Marlin XS7 before and it was good, with a reasonable trigger and I didn't care about the internal magazine or the plastic stock.

So the others that come to mind are the Ruger American, Thompson/Centre Venture, blued Rem 700s, Savage 11 and cheapy Axis, Howa 1500, Zastava

Basically I'm trying to narrow down the field for a .308 deer rifle from eight-ish to three and then consider 'fit' etc.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Last edited by on2it; 16-06-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Buy secondhand, you will get a better quality rifle for the same price.

Of the ones you listed the Howa 1500 would be my pick. Run screaming from a Ruger american of Savage axis.

I agree with stug buy a second tikka t3 there's a few on trademe. As long as they have been cared for you will be fine I've never come across a tikka that won't shoot well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dougie likes this.

Second hand tikka t3.
    Dougie likes this.

What will the rifle be used for mostly?

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

+1 for Second hand tikka, but only if it's been looked after. Howa if you insist of new and shiny

Tikka's come with good rings and will double in value according to trademe.
    Howa's are just as good but come with crappy mounts and rings if you get it as a combo

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Savage (Mod 11/14/16 etc, not the Axis). I've used a T3 back to back with one of my Savages (Mod 14) and the one single thing the Tikka did better was being a bit lighter to carry. Everything else I can think of - tigger, action, safety, accuracy etc the Savage was better.
    Savage1, gadgetman, tetawa and 3 others like this.

Love my Howa, shoots like a dream.
    marky123 likes this.

northdude
    A new tikka would be cheaper that a second hand one

1 for zastava, very well built "proper" mauser action, excellent ajustable trigger good safety, floorplate magazine. I have 2 a 223 and 308 both synthetic stocked and both benefited from bedding but i believe the wooden stocks are better.
    hthomas likes this.

My understanding is that the zastava mini mauser doesn't actually have controlled feed?
    But anyway, I still think that they are neat little good value rifles.
    Howas to me are just big heavy blobs.
    And Ive never met a Savage that didn't shoot unless there was something wrong with the bedding. Their floating bolt head and nice trigger builds in inherent accuracy.
    ANTSMAN and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    My understanding is that the zastava mini mauser doesn't actually have controlled feed?
    But anyway, I still think that they are neat little good value rifles.
    Howas to me are just big heavy blobs.
    And Ive never met a Savage that didn't shoot unless there was something wrong with the bedding. Their floating bolt head and nice trigger builds in inherent accuracy.
    Yep no controlled feed but somewhere i read a comparison of winchester ( i think) model 70s with and without, seems it made no difference to reliable feeding even upside down. Agree savage are bloody good, even the axis thougt the trophy hunter has a better trigger and stock/bedding setup.

To answer the OP's question:

Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard - accurate and well made out of the box, only ever seen 1 dud from the first batch. Can have warped actions / scope bases out of alignment so lap your rings.

Rem 700 Blued - Good accurate rifles, very easy to customize, plenty of aftermarket kit out there.

Zastava - Mini-Mauser actions are great on the 223 / 7.62x39, accurate and all models have a set trigger (M85 included), machining is rough but will last ages and get the job done. Can suffer the same issue as the Howa so lap your scope rings. Treat em' rough and they come back for more.

+1 for a second hand Tikka, they come up occasionally for $750-1000. I think Reloaders had blued T3 for $1099 new.

Good luck with your purchase.

wot stug said - be patient & buy 2nd hand.
    I've bought plenty of very accurate 2nd boom sticks with not a lot of rounds thru them for less that $1000. Recently picked up w Weatherby MKV ultralight 7mm08 with brand new Truflite barrel for $800. Still doing load dev but shows good promise with 0.5 moa groups. Have had several Weatherby's (308, 2506 & 300WSM) - all have been sub moa. Have had good luck with REM700's apart from one "near new" Sendero 7mmRM - it was "inch of barn door". Sent to Grant at Truflite , trued action & fitted a UM barrel. Its now very accurate. Be careful with 2nd hand Tikka's in the original "plastic" stock. If action screws are over tightened you can crush the stock & accuracy goes to crap.