Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: Thread for tikka barrel

Thread for tikka barrel

What thread do most people opt for when doing a factory tikka barrel in 223. I'm wanting to put a dpt suppressor on it.
    Also I haven't made my mind up about a can or over barrel.

Thanks in advance
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    What is the muzzle diameter? Personally, I would go with the biggest diameter thread that leaves say a 1mm shoulder for the supressor to pull up to. Maybe a 14mm x 1mm if the muzzle is about 16mm. 1/2" unf seems to be the popular fall back though. Also, if you may possibly use the supressor on another rifle, think about that as well.

For example, my blaser barrels are all 15x1 thread so I can use the same supressor or brake on all barrels if I want
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Good point @The Claw
    The muzzle is just over 15mm according to my cheap tape measure. So barely big enough for 14x1 thread?
    Is there snow at home?

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Was white last night and pretty much gone this morning other than on the hills. It ain't tropical though... Luckily I have a heater in my office!
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Ask the big fella ex Tokoroa and better get him to thread it. Absolute must to have 5 baffles.
    Toby likes this.

ill go and grab my messureing tools when it stops raining and messureing tools i have both threads here so can tell you what dia my muzzle is on my 14x1 and half by 20 rifles ive seen tikkas with 1/2-20 and they look so thin like only a coupple of mill wall thickness once a 1/2-20 has been cut mind you that was on a 7mm-08 so be alot more on a 223 14x1 has way more wall thickeness but its just weather as the claw says it is not to big would be finne for sure if you cut your barrel abit to 20 inches like i did my ruger so thats another option

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Ask the big fella ex Tokoroa and better get him to thread it. Absolute must to have 5 baffles.
    I'm guessing by "the big fella" you mean dpt?
    I have come to the conclusion that I'm better to buy straight from them and get them to thread.
    Rather than saving some pennies on second hand. I will save for a bit longer

Most .22 cals seem to be 1/2x20, so sticking with that would allow the can to be used on any other .22 ish rifles you have or may have. Then you can buy one good one instead of two or more cheaper. Or pocket the cash difference and shout 1/8 of a heli ride for Toby
    puku likes this.