Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tikka 284 Superpig Video

Tikka 284 Superpig Video

I made a video of my latest rifle being my Tikka 7mm08 converted into a 284 winchester. I waffle on about it a bit but hopefully it will interest some of you. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/RuNgM6LRjgo
    Ground Control and Been Upto like this.

jeez if a gunsmith refuses to rechamber a barrel because its too hard you need a new gunsmith

mitch maxberry done my 7mm08 to 280 without complaint

Nice was thinking about doing a 284 that or just get a 300wsm... decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    jeez if a gunsmith refuses to rechamber a barrel because its too hard you need a new gunsmith

mitch maxberry done my 7mm08 to 280 without complaint
    How much did that work cost?

gotta love em. small compact unit but with a bit more poke than its full lengh barrel 7mm08 brother. shot the first deer with mine yesreday and i dont see me changing anytime soon especially when slung over ya back with the whole ass end off a deer on the sholders it was great in the tight stuff. no radio antenas catching on every bit of scrub!

Quote Originally Posted by dansus View Post
    Nice was thinking about doing a 284 that or just get a 300wsm... decisions
    20inch 300wsm all the way mate 178gr @ 2920fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, Tahr, dansus and 3 others like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

have both, find myself reaching for the 284 most trips.
    kiwi303 likes this.

a couple of thoughts from watching the YouTube clip - the spread in speed and ES outliers might be down to variable neck tension. Looks like you are seeing it with both RM & 284. Are you annealing the brass after a couple of firings ?
    In terms of powders for the 284 my go to's are Superformance and RL17, both will give more speed than 2209 or H414. I've found the 160 TMKs run tighter groups or easier to get tight groups than the 162 AMAX. Go hunt so deer

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    a couple of thoughts from watching the YouTube clip - the spread in speed and ES outliers might be down to variable neck tension. Looks like you are seeing it with both RM & 284. Are you annealing the brass after a couple of firings ?
    In terms of powders for the 284 my go to's are Superformance and RL17, both will give more speed than 2209 or H414. I've found the 160 TMKs run tighter groups or easier to get tight groups than the 162 AMAX. Go hunt so deer
    I have annealed my 7RM brass after four firings but the 284 brass was all new. How do you get consistent neck tension or how do you measure the tension in the neck? How have you found the TMKs up close? My only concern is I plan to shoot most deer up close with this rifle so dont really want to run the risk of a bullet coming apart on a big stag or something? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    How much did that work cost?
    I cant remember mate it was quite a few years back(edit) I found the email $153 total
    I realise now it might be because they dont want their reamer to wear too quickly, logically tho if that was the case they could just charge more
    I supplied the reamer to mitch
    he also set my barrel back while he was at it to get rid of the step that would have been there if he hadnt because of the difference between the 7mm08 straighter taper compared with 280rem
    Last edited by Bill999; 07-11-2018 at 09:33 AM.

How long is the 284 barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I have annealed my 7RM brass after four firings but the 284 brass was all new. How do you get consistent neck tension or how do you measure the tension in the neck? How have you found the TMKs up close? My only concern is I plan to shoot most deer up close with this rifle so dont really want to run the risk of a bullet coming apart on a big stag or something? Thanks
    Haven't used TMK's up close, 150+ yards and way out = very good. I run a bush load and a long range load for each rifle. For 284's usually a 140AB or 140 - 150 partition, but you could use any old cup & core pill for the close stuff.

Interesting that you are seeing big ES spread with new brass. What brand ? I've always bought 6.5x284 and necking up - run Nosler, Hornady or Lapua mostly. I know there's some recent availability of winchester 284 that would save that stuffing around but have not used it myself. Got plenty of brass to get thru first. In terms of annealing I've moved to 2 firings then anneal, used to be 3 or 4 but I've noted neck tension in some brass definitely changes on 3rd or more firings. You can feel the difference quite clearly when you're seating the pills if you compare side by side.

I have found with 2209 if the load is close to being compressed, ie you hear a few kernels being crunched as you seat projectile but can hear powder when you shake bullet I get bad SD's. Its been suggested to try a drop tube so all powder settles the same.
    Something to think about.
    This was in a long barrel 7mm08 I drooped the charge down and the SD was a lot better but velocity was too low so I just changed to 2208 and all was well.

I've run in to some accuracy issues with my 284. Pretty sure it's neck tension. I'm also getting some pressure spikes so thinking I might have a donut problem. Still shoots under an inch but has gone from a .5 gun to a 1moa gun. Get the odd bit of stamped brass too

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I've run in to some accuracy issues with my 284. Pretty sure it's neck tension. I'm also getting some pressure spikes so thinking I might have a donut problem. Still shoots under an inch but has gone from a .5 gun to a 1moa gun. Get the odd bit of stamped brass too
    Carbon buildup??
    Nick-D likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.