Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tikka 308

Tikka 308

Gidday team

So just about to make the purchase of my first firearm after a bunch of advice from mates, colleagues and people on here as well as many trips into my local to feel the different firearms. Managed to get a really good deal on a 308 Tikka Elite/DPT/VX Freedom 3x9x40. Going to mainly be used for stalking the Kaimanawas/Kawekas and the occasional red trips.

Just after some advice on what grain/brand people are using in terms of ammunition. Being 308 I know there is a shit load to choose from hence the question to help narrow it down for me. Particularly keen to hear from those who hunt the area and whether you've gone for a smaller grain given the size of Sika or if you just stick with one size fits all.

I'm not a bad shot by any means, have been around firearms most of my life in both a professional sense and recreational.

Cheers team!
    Scottie

Are you reloading or factory ammo? Can’t go wrong with a standard old 150gr as an all rounder. You could go for a lighter 125/130gr as sika are an option. Just be careful is the projectile a varmint one or a standard one. I’ve used 125gr nosler accubonds in my .308. My daughters mainly use it so a lighter projectile to keep recoil down.
    My friend uses 168/178 gr projectiles in his .308 but he does a lot of open tops long range hunting.
    veitnamcam, 57jl, Scottie and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Are you reloading or factory ammo? Can’t go wrong with a standard old 150gr as an all rounder. You could go for a lighter 125/130gr as sika are an option. Just be careful is the projectile a varmint one or a standard one. I’ve used 125gr nosler accubonds in my .308. My daughters mainly use it so a lighter projectile to keep recoil down.
    My friend uses 168/178 gr projectiles in his .308 but he does a lot of open tops long range hunting.
    Sorry should have mentioned. Factory, I don't think my wife will appreciate me going down the reloading rabbit hole!
    Shearer likes this.

Hornady superformance ammo has a good rep. Otherwise the old Federal blue box has a good rep. Belmont ammo sells .308 ammo that is a good price. Sorry I haven't bought factory ammo is about 20yrs,
    on2it and Scottie like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    150gr is a good all round weight
    Scottie and norsk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Otherwise the old Federal blue box has a good rep. Belmont ammo sells .308 ammo that is a good price.
    This one. 150gr nothing fancy. Job done.
    veitnamcam, Makros, 57jl and 1 others like this.

Get your hands on an assortment of different ammo and go for the one that groups best.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Get your hands on an assortment of different ammo and go for the one that groups best.
    In theory yes, but unnecessary in my view just starting out, and pretty expensive exercise at $60 a box. Perhaps better spent on diesel?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    That's the plan mate, but I don't fancy buying 5 different brands at $60+ a box. Hence why I've asked the question on what people are using. Hopefully narrow it down to 2-3 and shoot from there.

It'll keep the boss happier the less I spend right now. And I figured what better place to ask than here.

Appreciate the advice though......

Hi Scottie,

I have used Federal blue box 150grn and Hornady Whitetail 150grn - same price normally. Both shoot effectively identical over two different rifles. Always as accurate as the shooter/rifle.
    57jl, Scottie and Barnes130 like this.

Buy two boxes of Winchester 150grn power point . Sight it in at 50 mtrs and use all the rest of you ammo shooting sika in the bush. Once you have used all your ammo then play around with different loads etc. Over thinking things is expensive. Trust me.
    Carbine, norsk and m101a1 like this.

Greetings @Scottie,
    This is an interesting thread. To summarise advice cartridge with 150 grain projectile, doesn't matter what brand. Sight in and go shoot deer. Clearly we are talking about a .308 Win. Nothing I can add to that. Advice on handloading when required will be brief as well. If only the rest of life was that simple.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Scottie likes this.

+1 on fed blue box 150gr, great bush hunting round and has grouped very well in every Tikka or Sako 308 I have tried it in.
    Scottie and Barnes130 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    +1 on fed blue box 150gr, great bush hunting round and has grouped very well in every Tikka or Sako 308 I have tried it in.
    What I used to use for everything,usually easily available.
    Scottie likes this.

Federal blue box
    Winchester Power Point
    Hornady Whitetail

all 150gr.
    The Federal has been great for me and the small soft point is not as easily damaged if it's in and out of the magazine a few times.

some folks like the same cartridges but with 180gr. soft point as a bush hunting round.
    Scottie likes this.