Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By stevodog
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Tikka Laminated stocks

Tikka Laminated stocks

For some time I've been thinking about adding a tikka T3 or T3 X laminate salt n pepper to the mix.

What's your experience with them in the following areas:

*Weight?
    *Durability?
    *Feel compared to the standard plastic
    stocks which I'm not a fan of.
    * Palm swell and grip factor balance?

I've had 2 tplastic tikka t3s in the past and sold them for lack of soul definitely not accuracy.

But maybe a laminate?

Thanks in advance.

GSP HUNTER

Had one on a short .308 and absolutely loved it weight wasnt to bad as it was a short little gun anyway gave great balance with the suppressor on go for it
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Banned
    I've got one in 7RM. Not much heavier than plastic but feels good to fire. More stable and weather resistant than walnut.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Have a timber boyds on my 223 and really like it, sure its heavier than the plastic but my 223 has been cut short and dpt almost touching forestock so weight is toward the rear.

Durability, well ive had it a few years the usualy scratchs and dints relating to timber stocks. No change in the finish that it came with.

Definately adds to the 'soul' of the rifle. Also removes that horid sound when you hit a hollow plastic fantastic on a tree....
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

I’ve got one here. It’s a nice stock, and it’s been well used, but is remarkably unscathed. Very tough. I’ll weigh it a bit later and let you know.

Their weakness is that they are not pillar bedded. This means that repeated un-doing and re-tightening of the action screws can all too easily compress the laminate under the trigger guard, resulting in some shifting around of the action. Mine was on a .308 and when I moved to a staunch load under 180gr bullets, the recoil and movement was enough to munt the recoil log and turn accuracy to crap.

I solved it by pillar and epoxy bedding it, and epoxy bedding the trigger guard into the bottom of the stock. Came up mint.

I’ll say this though. There’s something about the Tikka stock design that seems to transfer felt recoil much more readily than the DPT chassis I have on it now. I seem to remember one of the stock wizards on here wrote a post about why this is the case?

I can shoot the rifle in the DPT chassis all day and I don’t get the green bruise on the front of my collarbone, and the DPT doesn’t even have a recoil pad. But the Tikka stock always left me with a bruise.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I’ve got one here. It’s a nice stock, and it’s been well used, but is remarkably unscathed. Very tough. I’ll weigh it a bit later and let you know.

Their weakness is that they are not pillar bedded. This means that repeated un-doing and re-tightening of the action screws can all too easily compress the laminate under the trigger guard, resulting in some shifting around of the action. Mine was on a .308 and when I moved to a staunch load under 180gr bullets, the recoil and movement was enough to munt the recoil log and turn accuracy to crap.

I solved it by pillar and epoxy bedding it, and epoxy bedding the trigger guard into the bottom of the stock. Came up mint.

I’ll say this though. There’s something about the Tikka stock design that seems to transfer felt recoil much more readily than the DPT chassis I have on it now. I seem to remember one of the stock wizards on here wrote a post about why this is the case?

I can shoot the rifle in the DPT chassis all day and I don’t get the green bruise on the front of my collarbone, and the DPT doesn’t even have a recoil pad. But the Tikka stock always left me with a bruise.
    Thank you fly blown, I have heard about the felt recoil in tikka and laminate stocks. Be keen to read that if anyone knows the link?
    What caliber shooter is your restocked Tikka?

Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Limbsaver or Pachmayer.
    Yeah but Flyblown's DPT chassis has no recoil pad, Stock design makes more difference than soft recoil pad that is just masking a problem.
    @Flyblown I think you will find some of the recoil may be due to the height of the butt in relation to the bore, I find my MDT chassis felt recoil is a lot less that the original stock as well.

Have a look at Mark's video he try's to explain it

BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

My favourite stock is my t3x with the larger more vertical grip on it. So much nicer to use, particularly in the prone position. For some reason so many rifle stocks these days have a real skinny and near horizontal grip for the master hand. Sorry not really laminate related.
    Fisherman likes this.

Mine weighs 1130g @GSP HUNTER.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Limbsaver or Pachmayer.
    Bare metal @Huntfisheat.

Manly version.
    winaa likes this.
    Just...say...the...word