Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Tips on preserving old leather

Tips on preserving old leather

I've got a leather bandolier which I'm pretty sure I've identified as an NZ Boer war era infantry one (shame it's not mount rifles to go with the Carbine, but I do have a saddle bag). So it's around 130 years old, quite good condition for the age, no cracking but quite stiff in places. I don't want to use it for anything, but how should I go about preserving it without hurting its originality/value?
    Any thoughts? Cheers

Neatsfoot oil may be an option. It’s a leather treatment oil; pretty good stuff. Considering the age/uniqueness of your item, I would seek advice from a genuine saddler, ie someone who is an old school leather worker. They are out there.

tanners oil........find local equestrian centre,they will have it....very light oil,leather like you describe will soak it up like nobodies business...it will darken leather but "feeds" it...not greasy like neatsfoot,its more like a cooking oil. will soften up pretty much any leather,you can stuff a saddle if you put too much on,by making leather too soft.
    Woody likes this.