Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Topo maps Invercargill

Topo maps Invercargill

Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone in invercargill has topo maps I can put on a micro sd for my oregeon 450 gps. Ive tried downloading the free one on the net but my brain and computer cant function properly to make shit happen, any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

I have the same GPS and have finaly found out how to do it. You can only put 2 maps on the GPS at a time or it doesn't work.

If you keep them on your computer and just put the maps you need on the gps 2 at a time your sweet
    I have to shoot out soon so I will get back to you with a step by step guide on how to do it..
    All you need is the internet your GPS and the cord to plug your GPS into your Computer.
    The rest is Gravy (accept waiting for the Maps to download)

Ok ...Firstly I am not a computer person.. so bear with me.
    First thing to do is down load the map you want from here

New Zealand Topographic Map - NZ Topo Map

To select the map, you need click on the downward arrow on the Left hand side of the page just below the printer.
    The map of NZ will then be turned into a grid of all the Linz topo maps that are available.
    Click on the map that you require (for example CG10 Invercargill)
    Then a pop up thingy will come up and give you three options ....... click on the bottom one which is the Garmin /Google earth (KMZ file)
    and save it to your computer.

Then Plug in your GPS to the computer ....

This is the hard bit that must be done correctly or it will not work

On the SD card you have to make a new file called "Garmin" this must be spelled exactly the same as the folder on the GPS hard drive including starting with a capital G.. (I just cut and copied the name.)

In the new "Garmin" folder that you have just created on the SD card you need to make a folder called "CustomMaps" ....again spelling and caps must be correct for it to work...

You now save in the new " CustomMaps" folder the KMZ file that you got from topomaps.

All that is left to do is turn your GPS on and go to setup / map / select map ... and there you should see custom maps-enable ..... once it is enabled you should be good to go! (may need to disable other maps)

The 450 can only handle 2 KMZ maps at a time MAX some may have toomuch info and only allow one at a time but your GPG will tell you!

Hope this helps ....Let me know how you get on!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post

To select the map, you need click on the downward arrow on the Left hand side of the page just below the printer.
    The map of NZ will then be turned into a grid of all the Linz topo maps that are available.
    Then a pop up thingy will come up and give you three options ....... click on the bottom one which is the Garmin /Google earth (KMZ file)

On the SD card you have to make a new file called "Garmin" this must be spelled exactly the same as the folder on the GPS hard drive including starting with a capital G.. (I just cut and copied the name.)

In the new "Garmin" folder that you have just created on the SD card you need to make a folder called "CustomMaps" ....again spelling and caps must be correct for it to work...

You now save in the new " CustomMaps" folder the KMZ file that you got from topomaps.

All that is left to do is turn your GPS on and go to setup / map / select map ... and there you should see custom maps-enable ..... once it is enabled you should be good to go! (may need to disable other maps)

The 450 can only handle 2 KMZ maps at a time MAX some may have toomuch info and only allow one at a time but your GPG will tell you!

Sweet mate that sounds much easier then the route i was heading down.. I thought you'd just be able to have all NZ maps on your SD card and your GPS would locate where you are and use that file.. Maybe i should let Garmin know!
    puku likes this.

Pm coming
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Pm coming
    Too slow mate!!

Garmin already know. I have fresh maps and still prefer ti put the nz topo map in fir the area im heading to.

Garmin already know. I have fresh maps and still prefer ti put the nz topo map in fir the area im heading to.
    Still dont get that idea of yours mate concidering they are identical.....
    Pengy likes this.

Sweet mate got the map on the gps. im guessing you can only access it when your in the maps boundaries is that right? i've disabled the other maps and enabled custom maps and have the map of the lake hauroko on it but cant view it yet? I've got a mate chucking all nz topo maps on an sd card too so should be set soon!

Cheers
    Gibo likes this.

Ok im about to blow a fuse. ahah. I'm sure i did all the above correct and im looking at a blank white screen with an arrow in the middle..
    For fucks sake.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Ok im about to blow a fuse. ahah. I'm sure i did all the above correct and im looking at a blank white screen with an arrow in the middle..
    For fucks sake.
    Ive bloody cracked it!!! YEEEEhhhhaaaaaaaa..

Had to enable basemaps as well as custom maps.

in not a complete computer tard after all..

well still a little bit of but every knows its ok as long as you dont go FULL RETARD (tropic thunder) anyone? ahah

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Ive bloody cracked it!!! YEEEEhhhhaaaaaaaa..

Had to enable basemaps as well as custom maps.

in not a complete computer tard after all..

well still a little bit of but every knows its ok as long as you dont go FULL RETARD (tropic thunder) anyone? ahah

Good shit mate! You heading out this weekend to give them a burn?

Sorry forrgot about that. It took me a week to get the whole thing
    sused. I felt like full retard .Also if you enable fresh maps at the same time it shows huts and other details that are not on nztopo.

Sweet cheers lads. Was away hunting for today and tomorrow till the wife woke up last night spewing her guts up. She went off the doc today and is in bed. Its daddy daycare now. Gotta suck it up and trade the rifle for the lux. Family first aye. Still bummed though.. :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

Know the feeling bud.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.