Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Totally Sick of Semi-Auto .22s

Ejected

Totally Sick of Semi-Auto .22s

No more bloody semi-auto .22s for me. From now on it is bolt-actions all the way!
    I even brought a single shot .22 the other day after my old POS Stirling model 20p turned 3 shot auto on me.
    Yeah the bloody thing started firing 3 shot automatic strings and I NEVER played round with the trigger or action since I brought it new years ago.

Damn finiky .22 semi autos:
    Had a Marlin Papoose that would stovepipe every 3 to 5 shots with every brand of ammo.
    Another Marlin, this time a Model 60 that was deadly accurate but again I always had at least one ejection problem per 14 rounds (this was before the magazine limit).
    Owned an old Browning SA20, that would only work with CCI mini-mags, nothing else would cycle the action, especially not subsonics.
    The only semi auto I owned that cycled every type of ammo was a Ruger 10/22....that thing even cycled subsonics reliably. Yep it was great except for one thing...accuracy would be 'rabbit size' goups at 50m.

Enough! I want reliablity AND accuracy...welcome my new single shot .22 bolt action...I await your arrivial with open arms.

I reverted to bolt 22's years ago. I was never confident carrying a loaded semi that it was not going to go bang..........safe on or off.

Whereas with a bolt, even without the safety, several options. Closed on an empty chamber.bolt open....me happy.
    Steve123 and Ranger 888 like this.

Double tap everything awesome haha the ruger should have grouped better than that min could put 10 rounds in a $2 coin at 50m
    stevodog likes this.

just buy a 10/22 and be done with it. 1000's of small furry animals shot with very few problems (usually ammo issues)
    planenutz and 40mm like this.

Banned
    Bummer run zara. I had a 10/22 years ago that was mint. Sure went through the bricks of ammo though.

bolt only for me now. I don't like self loading from a safety perspective.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Double tap everything awesome haha the ruger should have grouped better than that min could put 10 rounds in a $2 coin at 50m
    'Double-tap'...Nah it was Triple tap!
    The bloody thing was firing 3 shots in 1 second, then touch the trigger again and another 3 shots in 1 sec.
    Felt like I had an M16 in three-round burst mode but there was no fire selector switch to change it out...no control at all!

Must admit it was a bit of fun at first before it sunk in how dangerous it was...plus the possibility of losing my firearms license if the police thought I had modified it.
    Any way I delt to the POS Stirling...it has now gone to rifle heaven...Amen

I had a Stirling 20P shell bender. I gave it away and bought a Marlin 795.

Problem(s) solved,great wee gun.
    gadgetman, zimmer and Huntfisheat like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Haha, my old M20 was good for 5” groups at 50m.
    What a POS it was. Feed perfectly though.... after I dropped the mag and bent the feed lips!

I’ve had bolt CZ and Tikka .22s, nice guns for sure, but as my son shoots southpaw, righty bolties are no good for me. LOP with the fixed stocks was no good for kids either.
    Whereas my former CMMG AR22 and now my 10/22 Target Lite with adjustable stocks were/are friggen laser beams and useable for my boy, both with being semis and adjustable stocks.

Each to their own.
    gadgetman and 40mm like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

The only time my 795 gave trouble was after I was too heavy handed lubricating the action. Otherwise faultless. Just wish a flush 10/22 -mag would fit it :-(

A few years back I think the score was around 10 million 10/22s produced versus 15 million Marlin semis (60s and earlier models, 795s).
    outlander likes this.

I never had luck with ruger 1022 even it’s brand new. The best ever semi 22 was the cmmg and still is. Now there’s new brand called tippman . I am shooting federal bulk with it, last time I have shot 200r straight. Man I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post
    No more bloody semi-auto .22s for me. From now on it is bolt-actions all the way!
    I even brought a single shot .22 the other day after my old POS Stirling model 20p turned 3 shot auto on me.
    Yeah the bloody thing started firing 3 shot automatic strings and I NEVER played round with the trigger or action since I brought it new years ago.

Damn finiky .22 semi autos:
    Had a Marlin Papoose that would stovepipe every 3 to 5 shots with every brand of ammo.
    Another Marlin, this time a Model 60 that was deadly accurate but again I always had at least one ejection problem per 14 rounds (this was before the magazine limit).
    Owned an old Browning SA20, that would only work with CCI mini-mags, nothing else would cycle the action, especially not subsonics.
    The only semi auto I owned that cycled every type of ammo was a Ruger 10/22....that thing even cycled subsonics reliably. Yep it was great except for one thing...accuracy would be 'rabbit size' goups at 50m.

Enough! I want reliablity AND accuracy...welcome my new single shot .22 bolt action...I await your arrivial with open arms.
    Every fault you have described sound like poor cleaning.
    199p, 300CALMAN, Gun nut and 2 others like this.

Get a modern AR styled .22LR mate. My Kriss DMK22C never fail me regardless how fast I tap the trigger.

I've tried CCI Stinger, CCI Velocitor, CCI subsonic and standard. Failed once per 1000 shots.

All you need to do is to clean it frequently.
    40mm and outlander like this.

I've been using my 10/22 for 35 years, will never go back to a bolt action.

Your Marlin semiautos cycle and shoot very well.

Have had about 10 of the Marlin semi models and all very good. Almost all sub half inch groups at 50m, and two model 60s extremely accurate - would touch 1/4" and average just above that. To make them cycle well you run them clean and near dry - as Zimmer notes above. Just one drop of oil on the bolt. Then use all things CCI - they love the stuff. If its an older model you may need to put in new spring kit which includes hammer spring - from Mcarbo.

Have also had about 6 ruger 10/22s and in straight bench comparison tests with Marlins, the standard Ruger accuracy is very poor - Marlin much superior. Shot umpteen thousand bunnies with a super accurate 60 and it proved very effective as do the wee 795s.

By all means get a bolt, but your problem with Marlin 60 was likely wrong maintenance and ammo selection. All rifles prefer to be fed some make of ammo - that's good - it's how we get the best out of them.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Every fault you have described sound like poor cleaning.
    Maybe, but I used to clean the actions after every 2 boxes of ammo (approx every 100 rounds).

This is how I used to clean my semi-auto .22s:
    1 - take the barreled action out of the stock
    2 - while working the slide back and forth spray into the action CRC Brakleen
    3 - wait 20 mins for the Brakleen to evaporate (leaves no residue after the solvents evaporate)
    4 - put 1 drop of Devcon 3 ATF (automatic transmission fluid) into the action while again working the slide back and forth.
    5 - put barrelled action back into stock = done.