Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Truck Gun ideas

Truck Gun ideas

Gidday Guys

Despite having several centre-fires there isn't one I'd care to just "throw in" for everyday use - I'm a fencer so out and about, with everything from bunnies and hares to the occasional redskin popping up. To be fair this rifle isn't going to get much love, and might just end up in a toolbin.

I'm thinking one of the stainless Howa mini's might be able to be snuck past the taxman, problably in 7.62x39, although both the 223 and 6.5 versions have some appeal.

Has anyone shot things both large and small with the 6.5 Gendall using one projectile (like the 123gn hornady)?

What else should I consider - at the cheap and cheerful end of the scale?

Cheap, goes bang- SKS
    northdude likes this.

yep sks, or you could use a shotgun and use either birdshot or slugs/buck

I had the 300 Blackout for this with a 110 Barnes TSX-TX for everything from Hares to redskins.
    Based on in the US there's a good following for this with as a varmint weapon.

16inch Barrel and suppressor made it small enough with optic to go in the little hidey case in the car too!!

Now have swapped it for a 13.5" barreled .308 Tikka with same 110 cal projectiles and 130's for bigger stuff jus gives me a bit more range & legs but the proposition is the same...

Baikal break opens or the Norinco in 7.62x39. Baikal has the advantage it can be taken down like a shotgun too....

7.62x39 would be fine in deer and goats out to 100m (ish) and might be a bit big for a rabbit.....

22wmr / 20 guage double barrel could be an option but for the price you could have a baikal AND a norinco 22LR along side.
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

you see some good zastavas cheep on trade me
    timattalon likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Lever gun
    caliber - take your pick
    I'd take a 30 30.

When we bought our first house I sold everything to help make the deposit and bought a lever gun bought a marlin 30 30, shot everything from rabbits and hares up
    Choose a pistol caliber if your intentions are fairly close.
    Rugged, compact and reliable.
    Timmay, nor-west and Nibblet like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

How about this minus the flag
    Name:  IMG_5900.JPG
Views: 1159
Size:  123.9 KB
    ZG47, Tommy, 300CALMAN and 2 others like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Lever gun
    caliber - take your pick
    I'd take a 30 30.

When we bought our first house I sold everything to help make the deposit and bought a lever gun bought a marlin 30 30, shot everything from rabbits and hares up
    Choose a pistol caliber if your intentions are fairly close.
    Rugged, compact and reliable.
    I've got a win 94 30-30 with an aperture sight, nice and slim to fit behind or under the rear seat. Open sights are the way to go if you are likely to be a bit rough on it
    jakewire likes this.

Hmmm - I think it will probably live in a tool tub, cause they are always in the vehicle I'm in. They are 98 cm on the inside, so it will have to have a modest barrel length.

I made a quick circuit of the LGS's this arvo and ruled out a couple of suspects, I've had H&R and other break action single shots before (and for that matter lever-actions), and although they are very fit for purpose, I'd rather a bolt gun in this instance. If it lives in a tub, it will need completely stripped occasionally and blown out, and I think that might be easier with a bolt gun.

I thought that a stainless rifle might be best, but in talking with the LGS's guys one suggested cerakoting as a more durable finish, and the other parkerizing . . . . not something I'd normally consider but as it treats everything including springs, maybe its not a bad idea. Parkerizing brings it back to a chrome moly (blued) start point. I could wall of a section of tub so it (and a scope) is somewhat protected from knocks.

MSL
    Just get a fitted bag for it, had one made for my lever and it's perfect, super short and compact, rifle just fits.

An SKS with 16" barrel and open sights would find a good home in your tool tub. (My 20" SKS measures 1020 mm.) Any rifle with cheap scope and mounts isn't going to like smashing into your waratah lifter, fencing spade, pliers etc.
    Used to carry a Defender or SKS in the Hilux but very often their limited range meant that I was missing opportunities. These days I just decide on the most suitable firearm for area I'm working, and put it in a hard case behind the seat.

More thoughts - the mentions of SKS's which I've found to be heavier than they look and a bit rattly (plus I don't really like hunting with a semi myself, others are welcome) prompted me to think about other stuff I already have in the safe - and I have a beauty, solid, heavy and rattly. Its a FN commercial 98 Mauser, and its fitted with a sightly heavier than normal sporter weight 243 barrel which I scored off a forumite ages ago.

The whole thing is not real tidy but its as durable as all hell (or will be in a synthetic stock) and not a bad compromise calibre for the job at hand. So I think I'll track down a synthetic stock and see how it shoots. The money I was going to spend getting a Howa 6.5 Grendel, chopping and threading the barrel to 18", and parkerising I'll put to a scope.
    Shearer likes this.

How about a .303?
    Plenty of grunt and endorsed by Barry Crump.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

+1 on the lever gun.
    Mag loaded with an empty chamber makes it the safest but fastest 'ready to go' gun there is for in/on vehicle carry (ute/bike/horse). When the situation escalates, crank a round in the chamber and go to half cock and it is still the safest chambered gun around.
    Rossi stainless in .357 Mag, with open sights. They do a 16"barrel version for under $900, and Gun City also have a 13" version for $1100.
    A blow out with the air gun and a wash out with CRC Contact Cleaner and run it dry to minimise dust pickup when its in the tool box.