Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Trueflite vs Shilen

Rwt

Trueflite vs Shilen

Im looking at re-barreling my 300 win mag. Would I see any practical difference between a Shilen select match and True flite ultra match barrel. The cost is essentially the same. I've had good luck with two previous trueflites just looking to see if there is a reason to change.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I'm running a Shilen Select on my 260 Improved, early days yet but accuracy seems to be there and that was only on light fireform loads. Copper fouling reduced after about 40 rounds. I did run 55 rounds through one afternoon with only a couple of simple wipes with the rod and at the end of the day fouling was very minimal.
    I have a TF on my 6x45 that remained pretty clean after about a 60 down the tube and had no problem dialing the small groups early on. From my basic point of view, I would say they are very comparable in quality. A smith that has dealt with both and may have an opinion would be Robbie Tiffen.
    mikee and Rwt like this.

Hugh Bradley does a very nice 416R barrel, have . 6.5x.284 very accurate and currently finishing a .300 Blaser magnum heavy barrel for me... pricing is pretty good and he knows his stuff...

Truflite - always had great service, advice. workmanship and quality from Grant. Done 4 different rifles from me, including wildcat chamberings - all are 0.5 moa or better. Always support local over import if quality & price are in the same league
    kimjon, 257weatherby and rossi.45 like this.

Rwt
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    Hugh Bradley does a very nice 416R barrel, have . 6.5x.284 very accurate and currently finishing a .300 Blaser magnum heavy barrel for me... pricing is pretty good and he knows his stuff...
    Does he make his own barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rwt View Post
    Most likely MAB or whatever the company is called these days.
    Had an MAB on my 6mmBR. Was the roughest rifled barrel (button rifled) I have ever owned but it shot like a bloody demon.

No he makes his own, from german 416 stainless steel.
    Hes got a deep hole boring machine to ream them. Talked to a knowledgable man with a borescope before I purchased who was very complementary.
    Proof will be in the pudding - should have it fitted and chambered this week so time will tell.
    http://accounts443.wixsite.com/bradl...rels/functions
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzr257 View Post
    No he makes his own, from german 416 stainless steel.
    Hes got a deep hole boring machine to ream them. Talked to a knowledgable man with a borescope before I purchased who was very complementary.
    Proof will be in the pudding - should have it fitted and chambered this week so time will tell.
    http://accounts443.wixsite.com/bradl...rels/functions
    Very interesting what's his pricing?
    If quality is great, and there would be no reason for them not to be as Bradley always was very capable, I would choose one of his, or a Hardy, or a Shilen, over Truflite any day.
    Pity his 7mm is only 1:9
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwt View Post
    @Rwt he certainly does, he's about to test fire my .300 Blaser Magnum...

Give Mike Collings a call.
    I got a 6mm kreiger for less than the price of a premium truflight.
    Rwt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If quality is great, and there would be no reason for them not to be as Bradley always was very capable, I would choose one of his, or a Hardy, or a Shilen, over Truflite any day.
    What is the problem with true flight? I always thought they were well regarded, but have heard a few bad things lately.
    Would there not be any concerns with the likes of Hardy being new kids on the block and relatively unproven? Heard not great reviews on here about their suppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    What is the problem with true flight? I always thought they were well regarded, but have heard a few bad things lately.
    Would there not be any concerns with the likes of Hardy being new kids on the block and relatively unproven? Heard not great reviews on here about their suppressors.
    I try to avoid them if I can too

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Hugh makes the barrel to order, when I had my 6.5x.284 barrel done I requested 1:8 no probs, and the .300 Blaser Magnum I asked for 1:10, as they are made from scratch, he asks questions and gives advice, I'm no techy but Hugh certainly knows his stuff and the service has be great, can't recommend him highly enough. As for the pricing, I looked around and found him quite competitive with the more commonly known brands, at times cheaper. The quality however does not suffer.

I've currently got 4 trueflites, a Douglas and have previously owned shillens. All of them were excellent to be fair.

My trueflite barreled 7mmwsm has over 1000 (counted rounds in my diary) and is still shooting well. If you believe the internet it should have died after 700.

Kj

Hardy really needs a name change and if it weren't for H and F offering deals he'd be fair fucked. Hardy rifle butchering services sounds spot on