Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Two shooters, same rifle, different results.

Two shooters, same rifle, different results.

Its probably been asked 100 times over, however..

Sighting in .22lr Ruger 10/22.
    Nikko Sterling Fixed Zoom (similar to mountmaster, not 100% sure on model)

Good groupings from both of us but, our groupings are at least 3 inches vertical and 1 inch horizomtal apart.

Its for the kids to shoot rabbits/possums.
    Worried that groupings would land elsewhere for them aswell.
    So,
    Is it worth investing in a different scope?
    If so, what should i be looking for when selecting new scope?

Thanks.

sounds technique/paralax related or a combo of both

you just hold your head in different spots

and pull the trigger differently

and in doing so the gun moves differently

the only thing i can think of to reduce it will make it less suitable for kiddos and that is lighten the trigger

but first things first get the kiddos to shoot it on paper and site it in and see if its even a problem

If your asking which group to use and one of them is yours, use yours. who cares why other people miss haha

also go do the standard check over of all the scope rings that they are tight and sitting proper
    and that the bullets arnt clipping the end of the suppressor as they exit (or remove it for a group or three)

Gone but not forgotten
    Yep, I would say effect of parallax because you hold your head in different spots
    timattalon likes this.

A quick way to check for parallax is to line up on the target then move your head around slowly. Does the cross hair wander around the target when you do this? Even though the rifle is not moving? Nikko do a mountmaster AO range. I know they used to have a 4x40AO and a 309x40 AO. I may even have a 3-9x50AO here somewhere. (though the reason it is available is it is pretty high being such a large objective lens and the owner wants to not have to lift his head so much....)

<ost scopes are set for centrefire rifles and the objective is focused for 80 metres or above. Rimfire scopes either have an adjustable objective or they are focused at a closer distance suitable for rimfire (usually 25 to 40m)
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

First rule of shooting: no two people will get the same point of impact from the same firearm; we all hold firearms differently, squeeze the trigger differently.
    Trout, rugerman, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    First rule of shooting: no two people will get the same point of impact from the same firearm; we all hold firearms differently, squeeze the trigger differently.
    That's why I can never understand why people get their gun shop to sight their rifles in for them....
    Trout, Steve123 and HJA8 like this.

good hunting mate n I ALWAYS shoot same rifle to different POI...and its about same difference as you and your mate....on paper it made huge difference,strangely enough in field the odd time I used his rifle,no issues.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Thanks all.
    Agree with all comments.
    Mates head is fatter than mine, probably why his shots are lower 🤣
    I'd never seen so much difference between two shooters before. Lesson learnt.

Will get the youngest kid to sight in, so when the older kids miss - the youngest will become the boss.

i have given @JacoGoosen my 7mm saum, which i have shot out and killed at 548m, and Jaco is a great shooter. Anyway, Have given him my rifle, and he took a few shots at some fallow around 300m and missed. And everytime someone who doesnt suit my eye releif uses my rifles, they have a different POI to me.

Banned
    I would put the rifle in a gun vise and check for parallax before letting the kids have a go. A really good scope has such minimal parallax that it is virtually undetectable. I have had a scope that had such bad para that it was unusable
    rugerman and CBH Australia like this.

what distance were you shooting at
    how far do you expect the kids to shoot out to
    what were you shooting over . . pibod, sandbag a jacket over the bonnet maybe

only person i share a scoped rifle is varminting with my son . . no problems, he knows correct body position behind a rifle and we have the same POI.
    my advice . . teach your kids good techneque, dont just hand them a rifle and expect them to know.
    if you dont know what good techneque is . . your in for a great journey . . if you cant be bothered, good news is your not alone.
    good luck . . R
    zimmer, timattalon and Ranger 888 like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I have the same problem with my two sons using my rifles. Both are young adults of similar build to me but each get a different POI. This is particularly noticeable at LR and causes a bit of frustration when I beat them at the range

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I once asked Greg Duley how they set up their rifles for multiple people but never saw a published answer in the magazine.
    I find most people shoot ok with most rifles but have a mate whose rifles do not fit or shoot well for me or others.
    Have given my rifle to others, max range 150-180m off bipod on grass and fallow fall over.
    Never tried at longer ranges.
    But last program I watched chamois at 500 yards or so.
    Was it wind or shooter neck shot when aiming at shoulder who knows.

I got a mate who cant hit shit with mine is he 3" high and 3 subways left

Couple of other mates i shoot with just stack groups ontop of groups
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    My mates and I shoot each other's guns all the time. None of us ever had any issue not being able to shoot each other's guns accurately.

Years ago, I was shooting club rifles at the Birkenhead Rifle Club before I bought my own gun, these club guns were CZ452s with tasco scopes. Different people would be using them each time. Also, from memory, the guns were unmarked so you cannot tell which gun is which, you cannot always go for gun number 3 for example. Some people were able to get very good scores with them. I think my personal best score was achieved using a club rifle.

When a gun is set up correctly, the point of aim and the point of impact simply overlap at the zeroed distance, there is nothing else to it.
    Moa Hunter likes this.