Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Using a suppressor with a larger diameter than the rifle caliber

Using a suppressor with a larger diameter than the rifle caliber

Hi team,

I have Waitaki Engineering 6.5mm suppressor. Thinking of putting it on my 243.
    Would the sound reduction be less effective than a 6mm suppressor?

Thanks

Maybe but bugger all, I used to use a 30 cal on my old 223 and it was more than sufficient
    tetawa, grunzter and Synthetic like this.

SiB
    I use my .308 cal suppressor on my .223

It will still reduce the sound. I’m sure the scientists will say there there’s a difference, but it’ll achieve what you want w yours.
    Synthetic likes this.

yip it will work fine and be bugger all difference.....to put it in perspective Im buggered if can see a diference in end hole between a 7mm/270 can and a .30 of same make....even the calipers struggle.
    Synthetic likes this.

Got told by Bert at ODL that my 7.62 can would still suppress a 5.56 very well (though not quite as well as a 556 can would) so I think you will be fine.

I suspect it is because the 7.62 can has a bigger internal volume than a 556 can which somewhat makes up for the hole size difference.
    Synthetic likes this.

northdude
    fuk all ive got a 30cal suppressor so i can run it on any of my rifles it goes on my 243 and 6.5 06 youd probably need sound measuring gear to actually tell the difference
    grunzter and Synthetic like this.

Great question, I'd been wondering about this!
    Got a TOZ .22 a while back and wondered if I got the bulge cut off and threaded would my Gunworks 7mmRM suppressor work ok. Way bigger volume than necessary. Approx 1.5mm bigger hole but the .308 .223 example above is >2mm
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Got a TOZ .22 a while back and wondered if I got the bulge cut off and threaded would my Gunworks 7mmRM suppressor work ok. Way bigger volume than necessary. Approx 1.5mm bigger hole but the .308 .223 example above is >2mm
    @uk_exile

I used to run a centrefire. 223 can on my Kirss .22lr. The issue I found was that because .22 is dirtier than .223 it leaves a lot of reside in the can which is a bit of a pain to get out, you can shoot .223 through it after to clean it out a bit but it's still pretty dirty as it gets caught in all the baffles.

I think that's why most .22 dedicated suppressors can be pulled apart to clean.
    Synthetic and uk_exile like this.

I use a Gunworks 30 cal over barrel Suppressor on my Model 2 Brno, and it's super quiet. Your 7mmRM one will be 0.75mm wider all around, but will be multiple times greater volume than a .22.. What thread is the 7mmRM? Your main concerns are that if you have the .22 threaded in the same thread as your RM, is the .22 barrel profile appropriate for that thread: ie enough shoulder to seat the suppressor up against? And, if you ever decide to sell the .22, with a weird-for-rimfire-thread, will it make it harder to sell? (If you aren't planning to sell, who cares)
    Synthetic and uk_exile like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Thanks. Hadn't considered cleaning. The .22 gets dozens of rounds through it compared to a single 7mm round. Don't know what thread it's got. Brought rifle and suppressor new from Gunworks so let them do whatever thread they thought was best. Think I'll get a dedicated .22 suppessor.

SiB
    If you’re going to do that get a .22magnum suppressor.

Thanks. Hadn't considered cleaning. The .22 gets dozens of rounds through it compared to a single 7mm round. Don't know what thread it's got. Brought rifle and suppressor new from Gunworks so let them do whatever thread they thought was best. Think I'll get a dedicated .22 suppessor.
    try the supplied thread protector on the other rifle first.....they did all mine in a std 1;20 thread.

I bulk out my 300 blk Dpt with 44 and 45 cal baffles because I have them and they add volume, I just stick the 30 cal ones at the end

My 308 titanium supp will now be the only one I use in my 243,308,280
    It would be better to have one for each cal but that's not really feasible

I do something similar @Bil999 have an Oceania Defence Titanium Quick Detach 30 cal can - used it on 30-30, 308, 6.5 Creedmoor and soon 300blackout, I just get an Oceania Defence muzzle brake for each new rifle so I can put the suppressor on it.

May get a PAR .223 unless Jindy takes them away and I'll just get a Oceania Brake for that.

My switch barrel rifle has .338LM suppressors that get used for .308, 7mm mag & 338LM. Noise suppression is very good still. Usually a good bit quieter than other suppressed rifles around me. (ASE SL7i suppressors)