Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Utas .223

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Rotoaira
    Posts
    3

    Utas .223

    Anyone looking at the Utas Defen. NZ compliant AR style straight pull .223 that Delta Mike is importing?
    Not a huge amount of info on the comomay out there.
    Was wondering if anyone had anything to share..

  2. #2
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    5,436
    I’m waiting on one.
    Shipping is now Sep/Oct.

    The factory charging handle is left side only.
    Also from the pics it’s not a big handle. So I’m avoiding any scopes or scope mounts that have large bolts on the left side.
    Saves on scraped fingers or knuckles.
    40mm and GoodKeenMan like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rapa
    Posts
    891
    The charging handle on the left is a big put off for me for what I would use one for ie service rifle competions. To me, being a right handed shooter, I think it would be a pain to try and cycle the bolt when in the prone position or when utilising a sling, compared to a bolt handle on the right. Now if I was a lefty I would be seriously looking at one.

    However I can see it working for the likes of ipsc rifle and 3 gun where only one shot per target is required and you can rack the bolt when moving/transitioning to another target.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    9,031
    @NZShoota I'm a lefty and find that if I'm firing a r/h bolt prone it's really easy as finger stays on trigger and your other hand works the bolt, once used to the movements its pretty quick. Useless when you need your second hand to support rifle though
    Micky Duck likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Kapiti
    Posts
    157
    Or a change in government and a new arms act
    sgteval, Ben Waimata and Finnwolf like this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Central North Island
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Or a change in government and a new arms act
    You eternal optimist

    Far too many Karens and Kens out there that think they will be seriously injured just looking at one for too long

  7. #7
    Member Ben Waimata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Or a change in government and a new arms act
    I still think it's very feasible. We're not getting general use of A cat semi auto centrefires back, but further exemptions for pest control and for sports shooters should be the minimum demand, and both National and ACT were talking along these lines last election. Bring back E cat and get rid of P is not unreasonable.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Kapiti
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    You eternal optimist

    Far too many Karens and Kens out there that think they will be seriously injured just looking at one for too long
    Err ok

    My understanding is that ACT have a new arms act that would re-introduce the E category at least. With Nicole sitting at 3 on the list and national needing ACT next year it’s actually a reality.

    For me personally straightpull ARs are just a temporary fix. Others see them as a permanent option. Whatever rocks your boat.
    Micky Duck likes this.

  9. #9
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    The charging handle on the left is a big put off for me for what I would use one for ie service rifle competions. To me, being a right handed shooter, I think it would be a pain to try and cycle the bolt when in the prone position or when utilising a sling, compared to a bolt handle on the right. Now if I was a lefty I would be seriously looking at one.

    However I can see it working for the likes of ipsc rifle and 3 gun where only one shot per target is required and you can rack the bolt when moving/transitioning to another target.
    I’m planning on having my 2 point sling in nice and tight.
    Keeping the UTAS in my shoulder so racking with the left and then back to the handguard for firing.
    Welcome to Sako club.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Central North Island
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Err ok

    My understanding is that ACT have a new arms act that would re-introduce the E category at least. With Nicole sitting at 3 on the list and national needing ACT next year it’s actually a reality.

    For me personally straightpull ARs are just a temporary fix. Others see them as a permanent option. Whatever rocks your boat.
    Personally I would love that to happen. I just hope the Nats can start sorting their shit out to appear more professional. Act are the stand out performers from my myopic view, esp when it comes to practical firearm legislation.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

  11. #11
    Member rockland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Golden Bay
    Posts
    560
    I understand that current tactical training keeps the trigger finger on the trigger, and the other hand operates the bolt.

    so a right handed shooter operates the bolt with the left hand

    My Troy arrived set up like this too, but can be swapped over in a few minutes. I am left-handed so worked fine for me.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    231

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    I understand that current tactical training keeps the trigger finger on the trigger, and the other hand operates the bolt.

    so a right handed shooter operates the bolt with the left hand

    My Troy arrived set up like this too, but can be swapped over in a few minutes. I am left-handed so worked fine for me.
    “current tactical training “ NZ Police and NZDF, still have semi autos so above comment is irrelevant.
    mikee likes this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Rotoaira
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the replies team. Shame the charging handle couldn't be moved to either side to suit shooter.
    Regarding moves to change gun laws, I agree that ACT may be our best hope.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Rotoaira
    Posts
    3
    Dogmatix, any thoughts on the manufacturer? I haven't read anything bad about them online.
    I'm very close to pulling the proverbial trigger and putting my deposit down.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rapa
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I’m planning on having my 2 point sling in nice and tight.
    Keeping the UTAS in my shoulder so racking with the left and then back to the handguard for firing.
    We expect a full test fire report when you get it
    dogmatix likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: UTAS 15 Shotgun
    By furstimer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 10:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!