Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vanguard vs Zastava vs Howa

Vanguard vs Zastava vs Howa

Hey folks am looking at treating myself a new rifle but have limited funds and not a huge amount of knowledge on said brands.......it is a toss up between a Zastava m85 a Weatherby Vanguard and a Howa 1500 all in .223 calibre. does anyone know much about these? do they have adjustable triggers can the twist rate handle a heavier projectile etc etc.....your thoughts appreciated
    Cheers Alp

i thought the howa 1500 and vangaurd were pretty much the same gunski?

"not the zastava"

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    "not the zastava"
    Because????

They're gross.

Re: Vanguard vs Zastava vs Howa

Go the howa. The vangaurds have an awefull stock and weigh more

Sent frm my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, go with the Howa. Looking at one myself in 25-06

Howa or Vanguard same diff, you'll want a better stock anyway

The only I've used was a Vanguard a few years back and we didn't get on - heavy clunky thing, floppy bolt with no half-cock, awkwardly positioned safety that IIRC was too far up and back for my thumb to reach without moving my whole hand (or maybe I just have short thumbs). Haven't fired a Howa, but was unimpressed by one in the shop when it only took mild finger pressure to push the bendy hogue stock onto the barrel.

Worth looking at the cheaper Marlin and Savage options in the same price range too IMO.

Can't go wrong with a Howa. Go 6.5x55 will be nice.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I would go with the Howa also, great gun for the money.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

same here, go howa aparently its an old sako action design.
    all I know is they are well made and come with a really good trigger

Stay away from the blued Weatherby/Howa's (they are the same rifle just different stock) as they rust!!! This one did this overnight, and they all do it once the bluing wears thin. I guess when they copied the Sako - they also copied the Sako's amazing ability to rust overnight as well...hahaha. The Zastava’s are made with good steel that doesn’t rust the same as the Howa.

If I were after a new .223 it would be the Zastava, which is basically a copy of the Sako Vixen. The Zastava is not actually mini mauser as its often called. It’s a push feed the same as the Vixen is, and you can literally put a Zastava bolt alongside a Vixen’s and if you covered the bolt handles you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

The Zastava is also a true small action, whereas the Howa/Weatherby is a medium action...and hence its build to take .308 pressures and hence its weighs a lot more than it needs too when using it for a .223.

Only negative on the Zastava is the tiny wee bolt handle, which can have a thread turned on it and a aftermarket one put on. This would be money well spent.

Note: Not all Zastava’s are built equal and apparently back a few years ago the factory burnt down and they made them in Grease(?) for a while and these were all rubbish! They used softer steel and the throats wore out real fast. A lot of these ones had those repulsive square synthetic stocks that break in half (yuk!!!) or very plain beach stocks. If you’re looking for one, choose carefully and avoid these ones.

kj

Nothing wrong with any of them, down to personal preference really, good option would be to get a Howa barreled action and get a Boyds stock in from the states.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

the zastava that I handelled had the mauser type controlled feed and a 7 shot flush floor plate.

I liked it, and even threatened to get one. as a 223 it was light. the howa not so light.