Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Views on Straight Pull ARs

Views on Straight Pull ARs

Since we can no longer have semi auto rifles, there have been a few straight pull rifles come on the market in 223 such as the GBC Abyss, Troy Defence Sport and the Oceania Precision SP15 to name but three. If you own any of these or another similar, I wondered what your thoughts were, why you chose the one you did, how it performs and what to look for on them, such as which can be pulled left or right hand side and those that are fixed. Also do any of the bolts lock in the breach until fired?

I'm interested in getting one but not sure what to look for. Appreciate all feedback and views.

My concern would be that sooner or later they may be banned.
    Shadowsol likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

You can buy 3or4ranchers or howas for same money and less stress from popo as outdoorlad said .

Have a GBC rifle that I've been running for a year. Has everything I like about AR15's minus the semi auto part. I find it much more ergonomic to have the charging handle on the right hand side. All the AR centric optics and mounts work as designed on them.

A common justification people have for not buying them is the fact that they can buy a budget bolt action like a Ruger American or a Howa Mini or a Mossberg MVP for a fraction of the price. While this is true, all of these guns IMO are junk (after owning and shooting them). Well the Howa's are generally alright but the mags are trash. I think most of it is just cope - guys don't want to be reminded constantly of what they lost in the buyback, and they would feel like cucks using a straight pull AR type rifle. Which is fair enough, but don't try and justify your purchase of a poverty rifle by denigrating the purchase of a nicer gun.
    Sasquatch, Sideshow, MB and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Have a GBC rifle that I've been running for a year. Has everything I like about AR15's minus the semi auto part. I find it much more ergonomic to have the charging handle on the right hand side. All the AR centric optics and mounts work as designed on them.

A common justification people have for not buying them is the fact that they can buy a budget bolt action like a Ruger American or a Howa Mini or a Mossberg MVP for a fraction of the price. While this is true, all of these guns IMO are junk (after owning and shooting them). Well the Howa's are generally alright but the mags are trash. I think most of it is just cope - guys don't want to be reminded constantly of what they lost in the buyback, and they would feel like cucks using a straight pull AR type rifle. Which is fair enough, but don't try and justify your purchase of a poverty rifle by denigrating the purchase of a nicer gun.
    How do you find the GBC is it a heavy or lite barrel?
    What’s the accuracy like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LTHunter View Post
    How do you find the GBC is it a heavy or lite barrel?
    What’s the accuracy like

I've got an original one with one of the pencil profile barrels. It has always shot very well with 77gr SMK's (well under 1" 5 shot groups). It never liked lighter 55gr bullets, but after 700 odd rounds down the pipe it has actually started to group some of them well.

For example it used to spray Wolf Gold 55gr FMJ ammo, but during sight in before the service rifle Nats, it suddenly decided to group it tight as, and shot very nicely over the 2 day competition.

I wanted to straight pull my SKS.
    Would have been easy as to do it to the police standard. (for what that is worth)

My arms officer jumped up and down and said it was illegal and would not pass.

I called bullshit, but dropped nuts and handed it in.
    I kept the custom made thumbhole stock for it though, shame to waste something so nice.

Will try find another rifle to fit into it one day. Or maybe a SKS to convert....

Anyone got a SKS on P for sale?
    Use enough gun

Thanks. Always good to here it from a user than a salesman

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

Appreciate your feedback, I appreciate the contrast between value buys vs. the GBC, I think for a mid range caliber I was keen on a lighter gun with tactical attachments like the GBC. For heavier loads I'd likely use a Browning BLR lever or a straight out bolt gun like a RPC or Bergara HMR. I'm keen on the GBC NZ made unit but think as a right hander I'd prefer the charging handle/bolt on the LHS so trigger finger stays on the trigger. Is it swappable?

Quote Originally Posted by yosamitesam View Post
    Appreciate your feedback, I appreciate the contrast between value buys vs. the GBC, I think for a mid range caliber I was keen on a lighter gun with tactical attachments like the GBC. For heavier loads I'd likely use a Browning BLR lever or a straight out bolt gun like a RPC or Bergara HMR. I'm keen on the GBC NZ made unit but think as a right hander I'd prefer the charging handle/bolt on the LHS so trigger finger stays on the trigger. Is it swappable?
    It's swappable, but I find having the charging handle on the LHS is aids. Much better to leave your support hand on the gun and charge with your right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I wanted to straight pull my SKS.
    Anyone got a SKS on P for sale?
    That's a really interesting question. I doubt there are any legal SKS rifles left in NZ, and probably not more than 100,000 illegal ones. The main trouble is few or no one uses SKS as a primary commercial pest control rifle, and people who might have done so under the land management P category would have got rid of their old rifles before the law change. It does make me wonder if there is any mechanism for getting the illegal rifles back into the legal system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    That's a really interesting question. I doubt there are any legal SKS rifles left in NZ, and probably not more than 100,000 illegal ones. The main trouble is few or no one uses SKS as a primary commercial pest control rifle, and people who might have done so under the land management P category would have got rid of their old rifles before the law change. It does make me wonder if there is any mechanism for getting the illegal rifles back into the legal system.
    There is for other restricted items, but semi auto restricted (not prohibited) rifles are a no-no from what I hear.
    Total bullshit, but that is to be expected from a cows arse (aka PNHQ)
    Use enough gun

I cant see the police letting them go for long - they pounced on pump action Troy AR's pretty quick (which in turn caught other pump guns).
    Straight pull AR's will likely lead to a straight pull ban...
    I really hope the lever action AR doesnt enter NZ as i would hate to see levers disappear, I want an 1895 when $ permits

If only the Police were removed from having anything to do with everything. Then life would be so much better.
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    I cant see the police letting them go for long - they pounced on pump action Troy AR's pretty quick (which in turn caught other pump guns).
    Straight pull AR's will likely lead to a straight pull ban.
    The UK system tolerates straight pull AR pattern rifles, so I’d say this is an over over exaggeration.
    Pumps were more likely victims to the fact they can be reloaded without breaking your hands grip on the firearm compounded by some also having box magazines.