Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 16 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By 57jl

Thread: vixen 4-16x44 side focus reveiw

vixen 4-16x44 side focus reveiw

hay guys this is going to be a little reveiw of the vixen PVF 4-16x44sf (mildot) this will be part 1
    i will post part 2 on this thread in a few days once ive shot the rifle with this scope mounted
    Name:  IMG_1464.jpg
Views: 2060
Size:  762.2 KB

a bref overveiw of why i brought this scope
    i just ordered another rifle a howa mini in 6.5g which means im a scope short also
    i wanted a resonbly priced scope to replace buying solely nikon monarch's for the past few years due to nikon discontinueing scopes from there line of products
    i have herd really good things about these vixen scopes from a mate i used to shoot competitively with for years
    and at the price point of $450 its defently worth a try

pt 1 the box and 1st thorghts

in the box is nothing flash
    instruction manual
    a set of generic scope covers they are obviously one size fits all as they are two big for the 44mm objetive
    and the scope which comes in a plastic bag very well protected but then again better off to do cheap packageing and provide a good scope right
    Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  149.1 KBName:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  175.5 KB

apon pulling the scope out of the box 1st thing i noticed is how small and compact ans small it was compared to my 4-16x50 nikon monarch scopes
    both scopes are 1 inch tubes
    Name:  IMG_1465.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  369.5 KB

the turrets are realy nice low profile caped turrets with 1/4 moa clicks and feel nice and positive
    Name:  IMG_1463.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  295.0 KB

side focus knob is nice and smooth and goes from 20m to infinity

optics quilaty in one word amazing guys this is a $450 scope its a cheap scope but the optics are very clear as good or better than some scopes twice or even 3 times the price
    my mate who suggested them to me said they were as good or better some of his leupold and sightron scopes with the exception of the really high end models and i have to agree japanise glass as always had a good rep and this lives upto it
    i woke up early thursday morning to go fishing and took the chance to look at the scope in low light again as good if not better than most other scopes ove hunted with or had the chance to look through in low light conditions

the only con i can see so far (for the price) is the fact that it only has 30moa of adjustment on windage and elevation

over all i think its an awsome little scope for the money as long as it passes muster on the range which will be pt2 of the reveiw further down this page

Name:  IMG_1462.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  121.2 KB

for part 2 i have it mounted on my howa 204 ruger which is a very accurate rifle
    to put the scope through its paces on the range
    Name:  IMG_1466.JPG
Views: 1931
Size:  156.5 KB

STAY TUNED
    Tahr, madjon_, Trout and 13 others like this.

We’re did you get it?
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Reloaders

Does it specify in the manual what magnification setting the reticle is calibrated for?

Most scope of this size are at maximum magnification, so 16x, but some use the old school milspec of 10x.

Higher magnification scopes usually have a red line on the magnification ring to indicate what the scope is calibrated for.
    Just...say...the...word

Also when you say the clicks are nice and positive on the turrets, is it a nice firm slop free click? And do the lines line up perfectly?
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Does it specify in the manual what magnification setting the reticle is calibrated for?

Most scope of this size are at maximum magnification, so 16x, but some use the old school milspec of 10x.

Higher magnification scopes usually have a red line on the magnification ring to indicate what the scope is calibrated for.
    Just read the manual no reference to the mil dot
    Sorry

Also when you say the clicks are nice and positive on the turrets, is it a nice firm slop free click? And do the lines line up perfectly?
    m

Its a slop free click but as with alot of cheaper scopes its a softer click meaning you could Accidentally do 2 clicks if you Weren’t paying attention you feel each click and it stops each click just doesn’t take alot of presure to adjust yes the lines seem to line up perfectly each click

Just...say...the...word

57JL
    I have the Vixen V-II 5-20x50mm illum Duplex reticle number5834 30mm tube 1/8 clicks adjustment has quite a tall top turret with -/+ 17 MOA maximal reticle adjustment.
    cost a lot more than your model and would be interesting to see how much more I got for the cost probably better low light performance? the illuminated red dot is really good when shooting small things at a distance and in low light, it makes a big difference and hopefully, you get the same out of your scope. I run my scope on a CZ 204 and I look forward to part2 of your assessment
    viper likes this.

Good to hear some positivity so far. Slight deviation from the review, but what's the reason for a scope with mil reticle and moa turrets? Why would anyone want to mix mil and moa, just adds to the maths/confusion I would've thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Good to hear some positivity so far. Slight deviation from the review, but what's the reason for a scope with mil reticle and moa turrets? Why would anyone want to mix mil and moa, just adds to the maths/confusion I would've thought?
    Yeah seems strange to me aswell
    But that’s how they come

Really doesn’t worry me I only went for mildot over duplex as it was a finer aiming point
    I’ll never use the mill dot and my drop at 300 is only 7 moa so i will dial if I ever shoot that far

Strelock says the BDC version is calibrated for 8x, doesn't have the mildot though.

Anything further to report on this scope yet? Im putting an economy 308 package together for a mate and this is looking like a frontrunner for the optic.