Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stub
  • 3 Post By Kiwi Greg

Thread: Vortex Ranger 1000 v Leica CRF 1000-R what to get

Vortex Ranger 1000 v Leica CRF 1000-R what to get

Hi Guys

Sorry I know there's no real answer to a question like this but I am kinda stuck and need inspiration from you guys - if I'm getting a range finder, what should I get between Leica 1000-R or Vortex Ranger 1000?

From everything I hear the Vortex Ranger 1000 is a good range finder. I have had a look through one in the shop and it seems good to me too. But for another 220 bucks I could get a Leica 1000-R. I've looked through a 1600-b and it's real purty. Figure the 1000-R will be too. But is it worth the extra dollars?

I'm not looking to shoot long range, certainly don't require the ballistics stuff in the 1600-b, although the horizontal distance function sounds good in steep country. (Both the Ranger and the 1000-R have that function). I'd like to shoot out to 300, maybe even 350 but at present I'm more in the 200 ball park. Getting a range finder is part of me preparing to stretch out that little bit further.

I do like the idea of the glass in the Leica, and that it's quick to range, and has 7x instead of 6. I lika that it's a Leica. (Get it? Lika? Leica? Anyway...)

Help me out here. Tell me what to do. Do I even need a rangefinder at all ??????&&&!!!!?

I'd get the best one you can afford I was only looking to range to 400 500 to start with and I brought a Leica 1600b now stretching out a bit and it will range 2000y on trees almost on dusk really impressed . Save yourself having to upgrade later
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Leica

Cheers thanks guys

leica. i have the vortex. got it cheap.want a 1600-b though.

GWH
    I used a cheap Chinese 700 yard range finder for 3-4 years and its been pretty dame good to be fair. Recently upgraded to a new Vortex Ranger 1000 (i had a couple of vortex scopes and the diamondback 10x42 binos and rated the vortex stuff) However about a month after i got the Ranger 1000 a demon deal came up on here for a new 1600-B that i couldnt refuse.

Ive tested both against each other, and i must say the Ranger is darn good, there were only a couple of situations where the Leica would get a range and the Ranger wouldnt, but it was basically ranging a hill top directly into the setting sun.

I much prefer the Ranger's angle compensation system, over the 1600-B. The ranger just gives an equivalent horizontal range, whereas the 1600-B also takes into account temp and pressure into the corrected distance figure, (basically too clever for its own good) as it can give some funny results at times due to taking into account temp and pressure. Id much prefer if the 1600-B just gave the angle corrected range.

My ranger 1000 is brand new, only been out of box for testing, and one day trip hunting - Now i have the 1600-B i will keep it, but i do like the Ranger. But i dont really need two RF's, so i could do you a good deal on it if you are keen.

What were you going to pay for the Ranger you were looking at?

I got a leupold 1200 model and have had no problems with it

Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    I got a leupold 1200 model and have had no problems with it
    How far will it range though? Mine taps out on deer at 750

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I used a cheap Chinese 700 yard range finder for 3-4 years and its been pretty dame good to be fair. Recently upgraded to a new Vortex Ranger 1000 (i had a couple of vortex scopes and the diamondback 10x42 binos and rated the vortex stuff) However about a month after i got the Ranger 1000 a demon deal came up on here for a new 1600-B that i couldnt refuse.

Ive tested both against each other, and i must say the Ranger is darn good, there were only a couple of situations where the Leica would get a range and the Ranger wouldnt, but it was basically ranging a hill top directly into the setting sun.

I much prefer the Ranger's angle compensation system, over the 1600-B. The ranger just gives an equivalent horizontal range, whereas the 1600-B also takes into account temp and pressure into the corrected distance figure, (basically too clever for its own good) as it can give some funny results at times due to taking into account temp and pressure. Id much prefer if the 1600-B just gave the angle corrected range.

My ranger 1000 is brand new, only been out of box for testing, and one day trip hunting - Now i have the 1600-B i will keep it, but i do like the Ranger. But i dont really need two RF's, so i could do you a good deal on it if you are keen.

What were you going to pay for the Ranger you were looking at?
    Hey GWH sorry for the slow reply. There's a new Ranger on TM right now for 685 Buy now. That's the best price I've seen around. Reloaders still have them on for 769. Or last I looked anyway. What sort of price would you be looking at for your Ranger do you reckon?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Hey GWH sorry for the slow reply. There's a new Ranger on TM right now for 685 Buy now. That's the best price I've seen around. Reloaders still have them on for 769. Or last I looked anyway. What sort of price would you be looking at for your Ranger do you reckon?
    Hey WillB, i'd let you have it for $600 flat, was originally thinking id just keep it as i like the simplicity of the corrected angle range, but theres really not a lot of point having two is there.

Its in its original box with all paperwork etc and protective case, warranty info hasn't even been filled out yet. Let me know if you want it, other wise will probably list on TM at $600 start.

Cheers.

Ops, forgot to show you the caveman Method using the map

Ive got the bushnell gforce 1300 but considering your needs , something uber flash might not be needed
    #BallisticFists

As you guys already know, the gap between real performer range finders is massive. There are a pile of brand names that make bullshit claims on max distances which I find aggrivating. They even call their products 1000 this and 1200 that. When you try them in the field at steel gongs they can't reliably find out past 850m. Especially on animals. Only one cheap RF will reach out to 1600m and that's a trupulse. It looks cheap but it has the goods inside. Only bad feature is the 4x scope but if you can see the gong who cares. $900 is better than $2500 on a fancy military one. Much easier to get into the country too.